Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Default Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302

I post this on mazdaworld.org as well. I hope no one minds the double post if they read both boards. I know babyhuey and kenninn are the resident Millenia brains here so I figured it couldnt hurt.

I started pulling a P0302 CEL again today and I guess its Cylinder #2 misfiring. This is the same one that was misfiring on me a few months ago. After reading some posts here I get the impression that I might have a bad coil pack and or oil fouling the coil pack/plug. I was thinking about swapping coil pack #2 with coil pack #4 and seeing if the CEL misfire follows the coil pack or not.

Just a little history, I have a 1996 Mazda Millenia S. Seems pretty straight forward for removal though, just a take off a few nuts and make sure not to damage the metal seals. I was wondering if there was a torque spec for when I put the nuts back on or just "snug them up" so that they will not move or crush the metal gasket. Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side note I guess also from searching here the coil packs for the 95-97 Millenia S is different from the 98+ Millenia S. Anyone out there with a reasonably priced used coil pack for a 95-97 Millenia S?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Default RE: Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302

Hadrien, Just snug up the bolts. Spec is 14-19 lb/ft with a new gasket but if you are trying a fix then just get them close. Good check to see if is the coil pack or not. Might also swap the #2 plug with #6 just to see if problem moves to #6 at that point. Will look into the MY difference in the coils and see if I can find you a good used.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Thank you so much babyhuey! I will just snug it up tight for now. I think the mechanic said last time that the reason I was getting a misfire on cylinder 2 was because they found some oil in the plug well and it was causing the misfire. I have a nagging feeling the same thing applies this time, but rather than pay $100 for them to clean it out for me I will take a stab at it myself.

The car is running fine today, it only seems to run rough on wet mornings or really really cold mornings. I am "sneaking" the Millenia into garage parking spot in my apt complex to try to keep her dry until I can get under the hood. I will check back about the used coil pack.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Did not have a good used in my stash of parts but looked into difference between years. Very earliest production ( before 10/1/94 ) has a coil part #KJ01-18-100A. After that all Millenia S use the same coil with part #KJ01-18-100C up to end of production in 2002. In 1999 the connecting boot and spring were made available separately from the coil but to buy the entire coil as an assembly is still the same part # and price $174.80 retail.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 PM

Is that a price from a website or is that the price that it should be roughly from my local mazda dealer?

Also, any tips on taking the coil pack out? Looks like its just 2 screws and you twist it out? Sound about right?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

That is retail at dealer. Looks like you can get from onlinemazdaparts for $139.84.

You got it for removing. Just those two phillips or 8mm screws, give a little twist to release boot from plug and pull straight out.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:26 PM

And if I find oil in the spark plug well that means my Valve Cover gaskets are leaking correct? Something I know is not doable by myself.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Yes that would mean your valve cover gasket is leaking if oil is inside the spark plug well. It is certainly do-able by yourself expecially if it is only the left bank valve cover gasket. If you have the means to remove the intercooler then is not a whole lot different to remove the valve cover and install a new gasket. Will only require the use of a ratchet, extension, 10 mm socket, new gasket, and a small tube off silicone sealer to complete the repair.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM

Well I could br wrong about the front intercooler. But on the 96 it seems a little different than the 98+ years. It looks like it is just 4 bolts and the cooler pops right off. I dont have a service manual, I am just going on visual observations. Hopefully I am right as I am always a bit apprehensive about cranking into and engine that I know is a bit tempermental.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 AM

No you are not wrong about the front intercooler. It will just pop off when the 4 bolts/nuts are removed. The valve cover will follow the same exact idea though. Just a few more bolts that are only 10mm.

Quick Reply: Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302