Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Millenia dial/climate control not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Default Millenia dial/climate control not working

I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia.

The entire climate control does not function. Now that it's cold outside, the heater just blows outside's air into the car. The "dial" which (I am guessing) controls the temperature inside the car does not work either (assuming turning clockwise would raise the temp, etc)

I am hesitant to bring it to a mechanic with fear of spending hundreds on it, however - the cold weather is unbearable in this car.

It seems some sort of relay, fuse or something is completely stopping the climate control to work.

Is this a common problem for this car? Is it easy to fix?
did a lot of reading online, appears it *might* be the actual dial not making any contact

I've found this on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...item2c581e2830

Is it wise to just try and replace the entire unit? is it simple to remove/replace? I tried removing the dial, but it's got a lip and the entire dash would need to come apart to access it.

any help is greatly appreciated, my wife is from San Diego, and is in agony driving it an hour to work every morning...

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM

also, the Mazda Millenia OEM Heater A/C CLIMATE CONTROL from ebay specifies 01 02, can it be used on a 2000?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Default relay

i would check the relays and fuses.does the diplay light up? the relays are probably under the hood in a black relay box.i have a 97 and i also have a fuse panel by my left foot in forward of the door.is there anything else you notice not working?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by rockoe
i would check the relays and fuses.does the diplay light up? the relays are probably under the hood in a black relay box.i have a 97 and i also have a fuse panel by my left foot in forward of the door.is there anything else you notice not working?
the lights do work. Nothing else seems to be broken, although the seat warmer (D/S) doesn't work.

gonna take a look at those fuses today, thanks for the help.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikeysandiego
I have a 2000 Mazda Millenia.

The entire climate control does not function. Now that it's cold outside, the heater just blows outside's air into the car. The "dial" which (I am guessing) controls the temperature inside the car does not work either (assuming turning clockwise would raise the temp, etc)

I am hesitant to bring it to a mechanic with fear of spending hundreds on it, however - the cold weather is unbearable in this car.

It seems some sort of relay, fuse or something is completely stopping the climate control to work.

Is this a common problem for this car? Is it easy to fix?
did a lot of reading online, appears it *might* be the actual dial not making any contact

I've found this on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...item2c581e2830

Is it wise to just try and replace the entire unit? is it simple to remove/replace? I tried removing the dial, but it's got a lip and the entire dash would need to come apart to access it.

any help is greatly appreciated, my wife is from San Diego, and is in agony driving it an hour to work every morning...
that one has a different part number, and while i dont know if it will work(i DO know that the later one like the one you posted only has farenheit, whereas the older one also has celsius), this is the earlier one like you have in the car, and i KNOW these work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...Q5fAccessories

whatever you get, make sure you get the amplifier also. the whole unit is around 600 from the dealer, but they come up on ebay all the time, i usually pay about 25 bucks for both the switch panel and the amplifier, like in the pic i posted. the unit is very easy to change. if you look on either side of the steering wheel, you will see a black plastic cover. the right side one is just a cover, the left side one also has the rheostat for the dash lites. under each cover is a screw. remove each screw, and gently pry off the panel. i open the glovebox, and start prying from there. it helps a lot if the steering column is all the way down. once you pry away the panel(here is what it looks like)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...Q5fAccessories

you disconnect the wire harness's to the control. turn the panel so you can see the back, and you will see the screws that hold the control to the panel. i have 3 spares, and i have changed this out at least once in each car(we have 2)

your heated seat is an entirely unrelated problem. you have to take off the seat cover, and change the heater element. the lower element costs about 60 bucks, but there is a lot of labor involved. the good part is that the new elements outlast the original ones. i have changed both of ours, and the new ones have lasted about 8 years and are still going strong

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM

thanks dude. well, I checked all the fuses, they were all good. Apparently, when I pulled the proper fuse, it must have reset the climate control. Upon turning the car on, the temperate was at 77 degrees, so it's blowing heat. The dial is still not functional, however 77 should be sufficient heat (for now)
My guess is that the dial's lost it's connectivity. If I were able to get in there - I could possibly just fix the soldering or wiring, so that it works.

Taking apart the dash to access the climate control panel seems a challenge, are there any online tutorials or step-by-steps to help me get there? I can't even seem to find a single screw...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikeysandiego
thanks dude. well, I checked all the fuses, they were all good. Apparently, when I pulled the proper fuse, it must have reset the climate control. Upon turning the car on, the temperate was at 77 degrees, so it's blowing heat. The dial is still not functional, however 77 should be sufficient heat (for now)
My guess is that the dial's lost it's connectivity. If I were able to get in there - I could possibly just fix the soldering or wiring, so that it works.

Taking apart the dash to access the climate control panel seems a challenge, are there any online tutorials or step-by-steps to help me get there? I can't even seem to find a single screw...
you will have to take the dash apart just to get at the controls. if you can get a good used unit for 25 bucks, why bother?

take out the rheostat that controls the intensity of the dash lites. under that, is one screw. the other screw is under a cover on the right side of the steering column. if you cannot do that, then the rest is way beyond your ability, take the car to a pro.

77 deg is the default temp of the unit. if you cannot change the temp settings, then either the controls or the amp is bad. and since they are so cheap and easy to change, i would not even bother with trying to fix it

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM

I have same problem with setting @77 and wont change. I ordered a used controller like shown in your post. It arrived today so tomorrow with notes from your post I am goint to look into changing it out. My Millenia is a 2002 model. I wasn't able to view an earlier diagram that was mentioned but not sure that I need it anyway? Please inform if you know of anything additional for the 02 model.. thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Default Amp

I know I am a little late to this discussion but it has been very helpful to me. Thanks! I am pretty sure I need to replace the control box, but I am not sure what you mean by the amp. Is this a separate piece or does it come are part of the unit like the one you linked to?

Everything appears to work correctly on my existing unit except the center **** to control the temp. No matter what setting I have it on, turning the **** does not affect the temp setting. In auto mode, it functions with the default settings so at least it is working in that regard.

Last edited by 1999millenia; 03-19-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM

the a/c controller comes in 2 parts, the pushbuttons, and the amplifier. they are attached together with screws. most of the sellers on ebay sell them both together, but there are some sneaky sellers that will separate them. the amplifier is white, the pushbuttons are black. if you went to the dealer, they would be sold separate. i was able to buy a set of just the pushbuttons on ebay a while ago, but it was a brand new set that some poor owner had bought, and never used.

Quick Reply: Millenia dial/climate control not working