Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Engine Starting after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Default Engine Starting after timing chain replacement

Hi to all. I am new to the Mazda scene and have a 2007 CX7 and just replaced the timing chain, VVT gear and all related parts.... My issue is that I reassembled it the way the manual stated, but when I turn the engine over to start it sounds like there is no compression. Sometimes it gives a hint of compression then nothing. This is the first time I have run into this when working on timing chains/ belts on a car. Any advise would be helpful. Thank you in advance...

Old 04-15-2015, 04:31 PM

I really don't know what to tell you except it looks like your taking it back apart. What manual did you use?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

What did you use to lock the camshafts & crankshaft before disassembly?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:14 PM

I have a Mazda factory service manual in PDF form. I didn't lock the crank, but had the cam tool. It looks like i am going to have to start over and re-verify the timing. Thanks for the replies..

Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't lock the crank & cams at the same time before removing the crank pulley you will loose engine timing.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:49 PM

Wonderful. Thank you for the info. I guess I will have to start the whole process over.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

What you need to do is remove the rocker cover & lock the two camshafts with the service tool remove the bung from the side of the block almost behind the RH axle, place the locking pin in its place, remove the crank pulley, refit the crank bolt ( finger tight )with a spacer the thickness of the pulley, turn the crank pulley bolt round until the crank his the pin & stops the engine turning any further. Remove the bolt gently without disturbing the crankshaft. Refit the crank pulley & tighten the crank bolt f**ken tight, without disturbing the crankshaft. Remove the locking pin & cam plate. Turn the engine around 1/2 a turn, refit the locking pin, turn the engine until the crank hits the pin again. Check that the locking plate will refit two camshafts again. If so you've done it right.

Enjoy.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks. I must have not done 1 step correctly. I have taken it all apart and am in the process of doing it all again. Thank you for all the help everyone.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Ok, quick question. I have done all the steps correctly. Put it all back together and when I turn the engine over it sounds like there is no compression. and/or ignition. Seriously it should not be this difficult..... Any more help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Old 08-09-2019, 04:10 PM

you probably bent the valves turning it over when it was out of time and need to replace them. a leak down test would tell you.
did you ever find out?

Quick Reply: Engine Starting after timing chain replacement