Go Back   Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda CX-5
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Default Oil change for CX-5

Anyone attempt an oil change on their CX-5. New to this engine. Remove plastic undercarriage "cover" to get at drain plug?

Oil filter location?

Like to change oil after first 1000 miles. Getting close.

So far no problems - wife likes it! Her daily driver.

Thanks.

burleyhotel11
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burleyhotel11 View Post
Anyone attempt an oil change on their CX-5. New to this engine. Remove plastic undercarriage "cover" to get at drain plug?

Oil filter location?

Like to change oil after first 1000 miles. Getting close.

So far no problems - wife likes it! Her daily driver.

Thanks.

burleyhotel11
Please be advised that Mazda strongly recommends you leave the factory oil in for the full duration of the first oil change interval. Changing oil so quickly after an engine is built can drain the important additive package most manufacturers are using these days on their new engines.
__________________
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5-Speed
2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed
2012 VW GTI 2-Door 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Look into owner's manual. Section 6 talks about all approved owners maintenance and oil change is described there as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM
CX-SV's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 438
Default

Yes, I noticed in CX-5 manual oil change with specific dino oil (not synthetic) at 7500 mile intervals.

Have any of the other Mazda's models gone to synthetic at longer recommended intervals (such as 10K mi.)?
__________________
S.

2013 CX-5 GT awd
2007 IS350 sport pkg rwd
2008 C300 Sport rwd
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
Yes, I noticed in CX-5 manual oil change with specific dino oil (not synthetic) at 7500 mile intervals.

Have any of the other Mazda's models gone to synthetic at longer recommended intervals (such as 10K mi.)?
I do not know what is dino oil but my manual says Castrol synthetic 0W-20.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Tomasz; 03-21-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
CX-SV's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 438
Default

Thanks, my manual says full synthetic too. I guess I was surprised by 7500 mile intervals. Maybe some European owners can chime in.
__________________
S.

2013 CX-5 GT awd
2007 IS350 sport pkg rwd
2008 C300 Sport rwd
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 AM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
Thanks, my manual says full synthetic too. I guess I was surprised by 7500 mile intervals. Maybe some European owners can chime in.
My BMWs have carried an oil change interval (OCI) spec of a nominal 15,000 miles. That said, the ECUs on those cars track a number of metrics which have proven reasonably accurate at predicting when the oil needs to be changed; no such a tracking system exists in any late model Mazda that I'm aware of.

I've seen the Oil Life Monitors in my cars adjust the recommended OCI from as little as 12,000 miles to over 18,000 miles based upon my driving habits at the time. It seems to me that 7,500 miles is a bit conservative for an engine run on synthetic oil, and in my case, now that my Mazda3 is out of warranty I'm going to change my normal OCI to 10,000 miles (yes I do use synthetic oil).
__________________
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5-Speed
2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed
2012 VW GTI 2-Door 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
It seems to me that 7,500 miles is a bit conservative for an engine run on synthetic oil, and in my case, now that my Mazda3 is out of warranty I'm going to change my normal OCI to 10,000 miles (yes I do use synthetic oil).
I'd say it's marketing stuff. People in US are trained for generations to change oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. If you go to any quick oil change place that's what they will put on the sticker for you - 3k/3m. Oil change is just too cheap for people to start thinking rationally. 3k/3m made sense in 1950s, but now it's just a waste of money. So the car manufacturer does not care by putting relatively 'standard' 7500k and market will do it's own thing anyway.

BTW. My dealer tred to convince me that I should go with schedule 2 and change oil every 5k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
I'd say it's marketing stuff. People in US are trained for generations to change oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. If you go to any quick oil change place that's what they will put on the sticker for you - 3k/3m. Oil change is just too cheap for people to start thinking rationally. 3k/3m made sense in 1950s, but now it's just a waste of money. So the car manufacturer does not care by putting relatively 'standard' 7500k and market will do it's own thing anyway.

BTW. My dealer tred to convince me that I should go with schedule 2 and change oil every 5k miles.
I've taken things a step or two beyond just assuming the manufacturer recommendations are simply conservative. Once my previous car was out of warranty I had Used Oil Analysis (UOA) done on oil following a ~7,500 mile run, a second at ~10,000, and a third at ~12,000 miles. In each case the results came back consistent with the oil being good to go for about 13,000 miles; and once I had that metric in hand, I simply targeted my oil changes for roughly 11,000 miles (which means I usually got to it by the 12,000 mile mark).

Now that my Mazda is out of warranty I'm going to do the same thing, and I full well expect the UOA results to indicate I'm good to go for 10,000 miles at the very least.
__________________
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5-Speed
2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed
2012 VW GTI 2-Door 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
CX-SV's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 438
Default

Yes agreed, my Lexus dealer does my full synthetic Mobil1 changes at 10K (while under warranty) even though manual says 5K on regular oil. No prob.
__________________
S.

2013 CX-5 GT awd
2007 IS350 sport pkg rwd
2008 C300 Sport rwd
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, change, cx, cx5, engine, filter, forum, initial, interval, location, mazda, modify, oil, owners, synthetic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
Med Center Mazda
Pelham, AL 35235


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.



SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.