Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I want a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:55 PM

I lowered the psi to about 30 and it helped with the rolling abrasive part of the ride, but the problem is that the suspension is too stiff and gives a bone-jarring ride. My response here is rather calm but I'm beyond frustrated at having to endure this abusive ride every day. Two features the deaership didn't tell m about are bad head pain and a cricket ensemble that last for hours. My recommendation is to test drive this car for about a month to see if you can really deal with this ride.

Originally Posted by paris1
It would be helpful if you specify which
exact model and how long you've owned the car. But if it's still new and you haven't checked the tire pures yet, do so. Mazda dealers are notorious for sending cars out the door with the 50#h of tire pressure the factory puts in them to keep them from getting flat-spotted coming across the pond. They should drop them to the factory recommended pressure specified on the driver's door jamb during PDI (pre-delivery inspection). If you still find the ride uncomfortable, try dropping them 3-4 pounds under the recommended pressure. My 2013 is lowered 1.5" so it has an even stiffer ride than stock. I run my 17" tires at 30# (4# under recommended) without any ill effects and it helps take the edge off the ride.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:30 PM

JohnD: We get that you're frustrated with the ride, but never having stated whether you have 17" or 19" wheels (and for that matter if you test drove a CX-5 with the smaller rims and then purchased one with the larger ones!) makes it difficult to offer any morehelp. Some folks feel that the 19" wheels on the GT do produce a harsher ride because of the shorter sidewalls. I have no opinion because I have a Touring with the 17s and it's been ages (3 years) since I test drove a GT. That said, if you do have the 19s, you may want to look at finding a set of 17" take-offs on the internet and selling your 19s the same way. There is a better market for 19s than 17s, so you could probably "buy low and sell high" if that is something you're willing to do.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnd
Thank you paris1 for the tips. I've had my 2016 CX-5 Touring for about three months and about a month ago I dropped the psi down to 32. I might try dropping it further though.
The Touring model comes with 17" and the GT comes with 19". Mine has 17" and I purposely stayed away from the 19" and got the Touring with navigation and the moonroof/Bose package.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by johnd
The Touring model comes with 17" and the GT comes with 19". Mine has 17" and I purposely stayed away from the 19" and got the Touring with navigation and the moonroof/Bose package.
Oh, sorry, I missed that. Well... you're screwed then. But I have to tell you I've been on this and a much more active CX-5 forum for three years and you're the only one that's complained this vociferously about the ride with 17" wheels. 19s yes, but not 17s. And Mazda supposedly has made subtle changes to the suspension over the years for better ride quality on all trim levels! Most folks buy a crossover knowing that the ride will not be as cushy as the corresponding sedan version of the chassis (in this case the Mazda 6). It's the price you pay for jacking a car up on its suspension and the necessary alterations needed to keep it from flopping over when you go around corners! The CX-5 is slanted a bit more towards the handling side of the equation in the ride/handling trade-off. That's why they're more popular with the enthusiast crowd than Rav4, CR-V, Forester and the like.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Ok thanks for your reply paris1. This actually makes sense because when I had a 300zx with adjustable suspension before the ride was actually quite pleasant on the softer setting. The car's center of gravity was lower and therefore didn't need to be super stiff.

My friend from work has the same car and she doesn't like the ride either. The roads around here even when new are not smooth this is a place where it pays to have a softer riding car.

Oh, sorry, I missed that. Well... you're screwed then. But I have to tell you I've been on this and a much more active CX-5 forum for three years and you're the only one that's complained this vociferously about the ride with 17" wheels. 19s yes, but not 17s. And Mazda supposedly has made subtle changes to the suspension over the years for better ride quality on all trim levels! Most folks buy a crossover knowing that the ride will not be as cushy as the corresponding sedan version of the chassis (in this case the Mazda 6). It's the price you pay for jacking a car up on its suspension and the necessary alterations needed to keep it from flopping over when you go around corners! The CX-5 is slanted a bit more towards the handling side of the equation in the ride/handling trade-off. That's why they're more popular with the enthusiast crowd than Rav4, CR-V, Forester and the like.

Last edited by johnd; 10-12-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-29-2015, 03:36 PM

I regret purchasing this vehicle more and more everyday. Should've gotten the Forrester.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bull427
I regret purchasing this vehicle more and more everyday. Should've gotten the Forrester.
Wait a minute; 8 minutes ago in another post here you said you should have stuck with Honda! Which is it?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Wait a minute; 8 minutes ago in another post here you said you should have stuck with Honda! Which is it?
When I decided to trade in my 12 year old Honda, one of the vehicles I checked out was the Forrester. Should've gone with that instead of Mazda.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bull427
I'm curious as to why you regret purchasing your CX-5. I went from a 2014 Accord Coupe V6 to the CX-5 I'm driving now, and I regret buying either one. Of course the Accord with the V6 was seriously quicker than the CX-5 and had more features for about the same price. It didn't have nearly as much cargo space but the truck was still large.

I regret buying the CX-5 because I feel like I ended up with less car for the same money. There are several quirks that are rather annoying, but the deal killer has been the ride quality. I think Paris1 mentioned that I was the only one to complain to a great extent about this car on this forum, but I don't think most people would go to an enthusiast forum to complain... even though I did. I have read other people's complaints here but I would have to search for them as it has been a while. All I want to do is make any potential CX-5 owners aware of what they are getting themselves into before they buy one.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:25 PM

I'm going to name my car Thumper!

Quick Reply: Do I want a CX-5