Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Not sure what the hubbub is all about. Why does it matter what Mazda says caused the crack (stone chip, not a stone chip). You insurance will cover it with no deductible and no claim hit because it is a structural component that needs to be fixed. No cost to you (at least here in the USA). Allstate, Geico and Progressive all operate this way (front glass only, of course).

Oh, and if Mazda can't get their shizzle together and get some decent windshield supply, they are exposing themselves to expensive lawsuits if god forbid someone rolls their CX-5 with a cracked windshield. They have incentive to make the windshields available, fast.

If it turns out to be bad windshield material or manufacturing, you will get a new and improved windshield at some point when Mazda figures out the issue.

No worries.
American Family made us pay deductible!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mayo
American Family made us pay deductible!

Yup, things must have changed. Some charge deductible, some don't (they all used to waive front glass cracks). However, even you have to have to pay deductible, at least you don't get a claim hit. If Mazda ends up covering under warranty, or gets hit with class action, they will reimburse the deductible (so keep your paperwork).

Allstate: NO
Geico: NO
Progressive: YES (sort of)

Allstate:
If you choose to have your windshield repaired rather than replaced, Allstate will waive your deductible (assume otherwise no!)

Geico:
Broken glass is generally handled under your Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage, which is usually subject to a deductible. Log into your auto insurance policy and see if you have Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage.

Progressive:
In general, smaller chips, such as a star or bullseye chip, can be repaired. Chips or cracks longer than 6 inches generally require the windshield to be replaced.
No deductible applies for a windshield repair completed by a glass shop within Progressive's network, provided you have Comprehensive coverage and your glass claim is covered.

I have seen many class actions filed for less than cracked windshields, so I expect some lawyer to take this on if this proves out to be a design flaw and Mazda refuses to cover it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Just bought a 2015 Cx5 Touring 2.5 L and also had my windshield just crack for no apparent reason. It only had 380 Kms on it when it cracked. Yes 380!
Took it back to the dealer and was told it falls under "normal" wear. My responsibility. Really? So I took it to another Mazda dealership where I bought my previous Mazda which I had for 10 years with NO problems and they fixed it, NO charge.
I decided to buy another Mazda because I was convinced of they're amazing quality after purchasing my 2004 Mazda 3 Gt and kept it for 10 years without any problems.
Currently I only have 900kms on the car and its not yet 1 month old and I've started to notice a loud ticking noise coming from the engine, the exhaust seems a little loud and the engine loud too.
I'm a little disappointed thus far.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by LarryFL
You think Mazda CX-5 windshields will affect the billions of dollars spent on claims each year? That would be a lot of windshields. .. and a lot of CX-5s needing windshield repair, to have an effect of more than pennies per year per policy.

Insurance doesn't work the same in all countries, but here in the US, I'm not worried.
As a former adjuster, I disagree with you.It is irrelevant to say that since
Companies pay out billions, they don't care.
Insurance companies don't watch billions; they watch risks.
If a certain vehicle incurs more claims, they will raise rates on it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Default Does this problem exist on 2015's?

Hello all,

I am a newbie on this site. I am currently in the market for 2015 CX-5 GT with tech. I am now skeptical whether to go with the purchase now knowing about the windshield crack issue. Can anyone confirm if this problem is seen on 2015's too? Thank you for any information you can share. Greatly appreciate it.

Regards.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:55 AM

My 2 cents is windshields crack on all cars no matter what just see it like parking your car at the supermarket. Some cars will get hit with a rolling unattended cart and some will not you just hope it's not yours that gets hit

Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Default CX5 2014, cracked windshield

I've had my CX5 AWD for 5 months and love it. Unfortunately, I think there is a manufacturers defect on the windshield. Last week I noticed a crack starting at the top in the middle of the windshield. It goes down about 10" and then goes to the left (as looking at it from inside the car) for a couple of inches. There is no visible sign of being hit by a rock or any other flying object. This happened in July in Minnesota with temps in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. This is a defective part. We're bringing it to the dealership next week - hoping for some acknowledgement of a problem.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Default Good news from dealer

The "glass guy" at my local dealership took one look at the crack on my windshield and decided that it would be covered under warranty. Yay... Picture of the crack on my CX5 is attached.

Attached Thumbnails Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System-glass-snap.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Default 2014 CX5 GT-Cracked windshield

16,000 miles. Windshield was fine when parked in the garage on Friday evening. On Sunday afternoon there was a crack running from the top along the sensor box cover a couple of inches below then curved in L shape. Dealership were no help at all. Sent pictures to Mazda USA Customer Service. Hope to get better service from them. Is the windshield the problem?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Smile Windsheild Repair

We own a 2015 CX-5 with all the goodies. On a recent trip to Eastern Washington, a mysterious crack appeared out of the center of the windshield. I called the dealer who sold us the vehicle, and they said they do not do windshields. OK, so now what? Took vehicle to University Mazda in Seattle, and the Service Manager took a picture and said he would call me when he had any information. Next morning they called and said bring it in, the windshield is on Mazda.
They are the greatest, and I think Mazda is going to end up replacing a lot of windshields.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System