Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Hello ExecFem,

Any news on this situation of yours?? I recently purchased the CX-5 and had them install a Mazda remote starter. Had it a month now...no issues to date. Very curious how your situation pans out.

Bon

Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bon Scott
Hello ExecFem,

Any news on this situation of yours?? I recently purchased the CX-5 and had them install a Mazda remote starter. Had it a month now...no issues to date. Very curious how your situation pans out.

Bon
I picked up the vehicle on March 20th. Dealership tech reported the following work:
Wiring repair body - door harness changed according to TSB - draining battery?
Replaced Radio/cassette unit as per Mazda Tech line - diagnosis: battery drain
Replaced Sirius Satellite Radio unit as per Mazda Canada - diagnosis: battery drain
Replaced battery - because I insisted (battery had been boosted over 6 times)
Replaced relay circuit - just in case - there was a TSB (cold weather start)

Car at dealership under investigation from March 1 to March 20.

I believe the dealership did everything they could to figure out the problem and address my concerns.

I actually called NHTSA with respect to CX-5 in SC that had similar electrical problems. That car got worse and manufacturer was ordered to buy it back. NHTSA could not assist because the car was manufactured in Japan. (privacy issues)

Called the dealership service manager in SC. He too was baffled by the new technologies that create all kinds of problems. He too did not want to say too much.

Both were firm in telling me that if the problem should reoccur, I should initiate the buy-back process.

BOTTOM LINE: No problem since I have picked it up vehicle. It's been 10 days. Hopefully the issue is behind me.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:45 PM

RE CX-5 battery drain. Well it's been 2 months since I picked up my car from the dealership and I have not had any more starting problems. It would seem that any or all of these mechanical interventions worked:
Wiring repair - door harness changed according to TSB - draining battery?
Replaced Radio/cassette unit as per Mazda Tech line - diagnosis: draining battery
Replaced Sirius Satellite Radio unit as per Mazda Canada - diagnosis: draining battery
Replaced battery - because I insisted (battery had been boosted over 6 times)
Replaced relay circuit - just in case and because I insisted since others obtained a positive result by changing - there was a TSB (cold weather start)

My best guess---I couldn't begin to identify which of the above solved the problem. I have to rely on what the dealership found and what they did to address the issue. And they succeeded…at least it looks that way for now! …Loving my CX-5

Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 PM

When we took delivery of our 2015 CX5, I told the dealer not to unpack anything (leave all the plastic on the seats so wife could unwrap it when I got it home). So, we had a half PDI inspected vehicle. I found some interesting PDI documentation about the battery. It seems there is a special procedure for dealers to follow while their car sits on the lot or else the batteries will be severely and permanently weakened. They have to follow a procedure to take out and put in fuses, and even disconnect the battery at certain intervals while it sits on the lot. There is a different procedure depending on if the car sits in the back lot or on display ion the front row.

They need to log all this per battery, per car on a checklist that stays with the new car until delivery to customer. If they fail to follow this, Mazda will not warranty any battery returns on new cars (so the dealer eats the cost of new battery for client).

Maybe some people here are experiencing results of a lazy dealer.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM

In my case, the dealership does rotate start on weekly basis, and the room fuse is removed until delivery.

Sometimes issues just happen. I am told that the new electronic components can be problematic. It's a question of finding the problem and the appropriate solution. Just glad my dealership solved the problem.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 PM

2015 Grand Touring model but only had it a week. Left it parked in the garage for 2 days. I have replaced all interior lights w/LEDs as well as license and fogs. Just because...

Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Found this nugget today that perhaps may shed some light on the dead battery issue.

Push-button Start (non-smart) - Club smart Car

Bon

Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Same thing happen to my 3 months old 2015 CX-5 GT AWD with 1600 miles on it. After parking in the parking stall for 4 days, the battery was dead. With the help of the parking security, jumped started the car. The check engine light, the tire pressure monitor warning light and the master warning light with TCMS warning massage were on. When trying to drive the vehicle it will not go faster than 20 mile/hour. Road side assistant took the CX-5 to the nearest Mazda dealer and after two days, they didn't find any problem other than the battery is discharged. Its been 3 days and so far no problem, however, I am not very happy when this happened to a brand new car and I am sure that I did turn everything off when I park my car.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 PM

I have one of those smart Battery Tenders which will keep a battery peaked when left idle for long times. My CX-5 sat for 6 days. I hooked up the Battery Tender Plus which charges only at 1.25Ah then drops to a maintenance charge. Actually it's a 4 step process but gets a bit complex.

Mine was charging for only 2 hours before it said it was peaked. No leak from what I can see.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:16 AM

I've had 2 cases where my battery was drained below the point where it would start the engine (both my fault):

1) rear hatch was not completely closed and the light in the back was on for several days. I now make sure it's closed and latched when I close it.

2) After trying to get my USB drive to work with the Accessory on (without the engine started) I only pressed the start button once when leaving the car. This left the accessory on all day, and my dashcam and radio drained the battery. I know this because my dashcam had 8 hours of video of cars driving up and down the street at the end of my driveway...

In both cases I was able to either charge the battery from a charger or get a jump from another vehicle via battery cables.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died