Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Default Brake Issue?

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding an issue that just came up with my brakes. I have a 2013 CX-5, Sport. It now has 53,000 miles on it. I took it in for an oil change this past Thursday. As expected, the technician told me that I would have to replace my tires before the upcoming winter, and that my brakes were nearing replacement as well.

He mentioned that the front brakes had 7 mm left on them, and the rears had about 3-4 mm left. Fast forward to today, and I noticed a definite churning/rubbing sound coming from the rear right tire. Upon looking, I noticed some brake dust on on the rims, as well as some shininess to the rotor, and some light scores. This is usually indicative of worn pads, and time to change the brakes.

I wouldn't be questioning this if I literally just went to the shop 4 days ago, and was told the brakes still had 3-4 mm left. Did they measure them wrong? Are there any other plausible ideas of something else being an issue?

If you pads are worn, aren't you supposed to hear a high pitched squeaking sound from the tabs rubbing against the rotor? I haven't heard that up to this point. Any ideas or tips before I jack the car up and take the tire off for a closer look? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Issue?-img_0114.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Banned

I get a ton of brake dust on my rims and my pads are fairly new. You have alot of miles.
Change all pads and put new rotors on front and possible rear ones turned. Get quotes on turning vs new ones. New is always best. I just changed pads once and they didn't last 1/2 as long, then i went all new everything.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Those pads & rotors are Farked. I would be going back and asking for you money back & or free rotors due to the incompetent technician servicing your vehicle.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 PM

You're definitely into metal on the rear rotor pictured. By way of explanation as to how it might have occurred without first warning you with the sound of wear tabs hitting the outer edge of the disk: my experience with Mazda is that they "cheap out" on the number of tabs at each corner, only using them on one of the two pads. I haven't had the brakes on my CX-5 apart yet, but this is the way it's been on the two Miatas I've owned and I suspect they do it this way on all their cars. Needless to say, if your pads don't wear evenly from side to side on any one caliper, you're screwed!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Default Rear Caliper

After trying to replace the pads, I discovered that the rear passenger caliper is completely seized up. This is a known issue with the 2013 CX-5, after doing a quick internet search. Since I'm at 52,000 miles though, obviously the work isn't covered.

That being said, I am having a heck of a time trying to find a rear passenger caliper for my model car; 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD. Does anyone have a good website, or am I going to have to go through the dealer? Thanks.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I would hit up Mazda USA about the faulty calliper, maybe they will supply a new part & you pay labour. Worth a try.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I would hit up Mazda USA about the faulty calliper, maybe they will supply a new part & you pay labour. Worth a try.
Oh, I tried that. Since I'm well over the 36,000 warranty, they essentially said there's nothing they can do. Since the issue with the caliper was only released as a Technical Service Bulletin, and not a recall, they wouldn't do anything for me.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by AJC9725
After trying to replace the pads, I discovered that the rear passenger caliper is completely seized up. This is a known issue with the 2013 CX-5, after doing a quick internet search. Since I'm at 52,000 miles though, obviously the work isn't covered.

That being said, I am having a heck of a time trying to find a rear passenger caliper for my model car; 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD. Does anyone have a good website, or am I going to have to go through the dealer? Thanks.
Have you tried some of the online Mazda dealer parts discounters?
Or...how about rebuilding yours? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=426&jpid=2

Last edited by paris1; 06-08-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

What is the warranty period for new mazda's in the USA?
Isn't it 3 yrs or 100,000 kms / 60,000 miles?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Banned
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What is the warranty period for new mazda's in the USA?
Isn't it 3 yrs or 100,000 kms / 60,000 miles?
I'm sure it would be hard to get on a "wear" item (other than engine/powertrain). Brakes are almost always exluded after 1st year I think. Customer would also be responsible for yearly brake service?. No service for 3 years, no warranty!?.
Thoughts on this, anyone?

Quick Reply: Brake Issue?