General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Default RE: oil

Do you get blue smoke at start-up (bad valve guide seals) or continuous blue smoke while running (bad piston rings.)?

You should also check the condition of both your coolant and oil. (possible leaky head gasket) Your oil would go milky white if it has coolant in it.

Those are the only ways for oil to work it's way into the combustion chamber.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Default oil

spark plugs full of oil (what the couse and how do i fix it engine still runing well with check engine light on) ...................
PLEASE HELP>>>>>..........

Old 05-09-2007, 04:01 PM

No there is no blue smoke at all. the coolant is dirty.I think i been taken for a ride i paid $3.500 for this car and now i have to pay $150.00 to the x owner mecanic toreplace the head gasket the spark plugs are full of oil i like this car but if i cant fix it i will take this person to cort.......THANK YOU.......PALUNGA

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM

I wouldn't have the x-owner do any work on the vehicle unless it's 100% free. How would you know it's done right?

If you wanted to have a baseline reading before the guy does the work, go to a local autoparts store and pick up a compression gauge.

Check the compression at each cylinder so you have an idea which one (or multiple) are bad.

You install the comp gauge into the spark plug holes one at a time to get a compression reading for each cylinder. (remove the coil wire so the engine doesn't start up, and have someone crank over the engine while you get a reading.) Write down the # for each cylinder. Do the same thing after you pick the car back up from the guy. After he does the work, the numbers should be very close from cylinder to cylinder. Not sure what proper compression #'s would be for your engine, but I would think you could get that from a Chilton's manual (also available at the local auto parts store.)

If you've go bad head gaskets or bad piston rings, you'll get low compression #'s.

It's unusual for a head gasket to be blown without getting some kind of smoke from the tailpipe. (White smoke =coolant, blue smoke=oil, black smoke=fuel)

Good Luck

Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Where is the oil palunga? Is this oil on top of the spark plugs when you remove the plug wires and look down inside the engine to where the spark plugs are threaded into the engine? If this is the case then you probably only have leaking valve cover gaskets. Is the oil down inside the engine where the plugs are or is the oil only noticed when the spark plugs are removed from the engine?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:41 AM

Hi There.... You can see the oil inside the engine where the spark plugs are threaded. Oil is noticed before removing spark plugs,when you remove spark plug cable.How long would a valve cover gasket jobtake,and how much?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I assumed you meant you pulled the plug and the end in the cyl was oily.

Valve cover gasket should be real easy, again, not sure what car you're driving, but if it's a 4-cyl, the valve cover is right on top, so easy access. Maybe 1-1.5 hour labor. Part should be just the gasket, maybe $30 (guessing.)

Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Thank you for your time ill get back to you when i get the car back
from the shop...........palunga

Old 05-10-2007, 05:01 PM

palunga has a 97 Millenia. Do not know if it is the S with the 2.3 engine or the regualar milly with the 2.5. Oil inside the plug wells would definitely indicate a leaking valve cover gasket or gaskets. If the oil is only getting into the front bank of cylinder nearest the radiator then labor will not be as expensive as not much else needs to be removed for access. Nothing on the 2.5 and only the intercooler on the 2.3 engine. If leakage is into the rear bank of cylinders then you will be looking at a lot more labor as the entire intake manifold assembly will need to be removed for access to this valve cover on either engine.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 AM

I got my car back and the valve coverjob went well... .spark plugs are dry and check engine light off. Now it's time to clean the engine....Can any one help me on how to do so without getting water in the egnition cap i hear that may couse engine to shut down.And what kind of solution to use that wont damage paint or hoses.Thank for your HELP..........palunga

Quick Reply: oil