General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Mazda 3 Wont shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 02:18 PM
Exclamation 2013 Mazda 3 Wont shift out of park

Hello,

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 and the other day I was driving and noticed that the red key with line going trough it and the red light on the push button light up on my dash. I went to the ATM and parked the car, and when I tried to take the car out of park, the car wouldn't shift. I used the emergency override on the shifter to put into drive to get home.

I immediately changed the key fob batteries, and the red lights still were there. I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, and the lights went away for a moment and then came back. At this time, the car still wouldn't shift out park. I also noticed that my brake lights were not lighting up either.

I checked the brake light and the horn fuse (read on various posts that the horn fuse fixed other peoples issue), and they were both good, which led me to believe it was the brake switch causing the issues. I went to AutoZone and picked up a new brake switch being 99.9% sure this would fix the issue, got home and installed it and it didn't fix the problem.

I am now lost what to check next. Just a few things that have me even more confused. The red lights on the dash (key with line through it) and the red light on push start happened at the same time the brake lights stopped working and the car wouldn't shift out of park, and I can't see anywhere how these can be related. The car still starts when you press the brakes, so I am not sure if there is a different sensor that triggers the brake lights vs the ignition.

Any suggestions as to what I am over looking here and what else to test? Why would those red lights come on at the same time? Is this all related or just a very odd coincidence? It's still likely that the new brake switch was defective, however I am still not convinced since the car turned on with both, yet the brake lights aren't coming on and also the car won't shift out of park.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2023, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

If not installed correctly you can damage the new switch.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If not installed correctly you can damage the new switch.
Can you elaborate? Seems like a pretty easy and straightforward switch to replace. Just twist it in until it locks and then put wiring connector on. I would think it's almost impossible to install incorrectly