Front drivers side ticking sound - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sound clips here.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Front drivers side ticking sound

• New member here. I have a 2006 Mazda 5. About 6 months ago I ran over something on the freeway and within a few moments had a flat tire. After I remove the tire, I noticed the him was bent and cracked. I hit something hard. Anyway, decided to get 4 new rims and tires 😁! The reason I am including this story is because I thought it could be relevant to the ticking noise that I am hearing from the front drivers side wheel well area when I am driving. The ticking goes faster as I increase speed. I begin to hear it at about 10 mph. I hear the noise when going straight and when turning either direction. I have read a lot of post about the same issue and I have checked several things. there is nothing stuck in my tire. I have raised the front end and put the car in gear and could not hear the sound at all. I only hear it when it is on the ground. By the way, the passengers side wheel was spinning much faster than the drivers side. I have removed the brakes to check for rocks, cleaned, greased and put them back together. With the tire on the raised vehicle, I held the tire at 12 and 6 and tried to wiggle the tire, there was no movement. I even put one of my stock rims and tires back onto the front. I've checked all the CV boots and all steering components. Everything is good and tight. I still hear that darn ticking noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of replacing the CV shaft this weekend. Thank you
Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Also

also wanted to add that when i had the front raised and was turning the tire by hand, i would turn the tire about an inch forward and then the same amount backward and i did hear a click and felt A little resistance. The sound was coming from where the CV shaft went into the transmission.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Update today

Just a quick update. I have not changed the CV yet. I rolled up the drivers side window while driving today, and rolled down the passenger side window. I could hear the ticking on that side as well. Also, the ticking noise is there weather I am going straight or turning either direction. Could it be something to do with my transmission? What could I check to narrow down this issue? Please, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Default Anybody

anybody here. Only 1 day off this week. I was looking forward to at least 1 response. Oh well. Probably try another forum.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Another update

So I raised the front end and removed the tire on the passengers side to do some inspecting. Right away I noticed the boot on the CV shaft was split wide open! That must be the problem, or so I thought. I replaced the CV shaft or i think it may be called the half shaft, then I put everything back together( kind of) and took her out for a spin. She was still ticking. Ticks when I am going straight, or tuning either direction. Sound remains the same, unless I am going in reverse then there us no ticking. When I was working on the CV, I did notice that the seal on the front sway bar link where it connects to the strut is torn. I will be replacing that as soon as I get a dremel to cut off the nut that I stripped. I also stripped the inner hex fitting on the bolt as well. I also stripped one of the built in bolts of my strut bearing plate. On driving on 2 bolts instead of 3 in my bearing plate. Is that dangerous? What a day. Still don't know what ticking noise is. Feeling frustrated and angry. Please help.