Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Professional Racing (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/professional-racing-37/)
-   -   Rolex Grand AM manipulated the RX-8 to a non-compete status: (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/professional-racing-37/rolex-grand-am-manipulated-rx-8-non-compete-status-15863/)

PaPa Bear 09-23-2008 08:12 AM

Rolex Grand AM manipulated the RX-8 to a non-compete status:

Many RX-8 fans and owners have seen through the ruling by GA to render the RX-8 with the RPM restrictions to a non-compete status ensuring the Pontiacs take the championship. Many fans have written the officials at Rolex Grand Am to voice their disgust at an obvious manipulation to ensure the rotary would notkeep putting the Pontiacs nose in the dirt. In forty years of being a road racing fan I have never witnessed anything so blantant. When politics reach road racing its time to for Mazda to step forward and do something as the fans have been supporting Mazda every season. Mazda controls a lot of advertisement money and supports road racing more than anyone. They should this muscle to get these corrupt officals out of this sport.

Fritz T Coyote 09-23-2008 01:17 PM

RE: Rolex Grand AM manipulated the RX-8 to a non-compete status:

If the Mazdas have been restricted to the point that they cannot compete, Mazda will leave the series, as nobody goes racing to lose.

Given the precarious state of GMs finances these days I am shocked that Pontiac is still able to buy these rulings.

Grand Am is just one more series where the 'keep them all competitive by penalizing the winners' formula is an attempt to keep the manufacturers money flowing in, while not driving the fans away by offering parades instead of races.

It could be worse. Mazda could be challenging Ferrari in Formula One.

virgin1 09-23-2008 06:13 PM

Sadly, it's my experience that politics invades every part of humanity these days, and probably forever before too.
I remember racers I knew in the '80's that complained that Porsche was "allowed" to use bigger injectors than were spec @ that time, and that was overlooked by the officials and sanctioning bodytoo.
There's is always something, and for some reason, that politics will get in the way of pure race-what-ya'-brung racing.
Have you ever seen Pinks on SPEED channel? I believe their judgment is often skewed by the need to produce good television, but that's supposed to be "outlaw" racing at it's best.

PaPa Bear 09-24-2008 07:35 AM

The #70 Speed Source RX-8 hit seven points on the track in the last race where the 8600 RPM limited their top speed power. This could have also contributed to the over heating and the the RX-8 that blew a seal which never happens.
Again the Racing Division of Mazda needs to get off their duff and go to terms with this very questionable ruling by the corrupt Rolex Grand Am officials.