Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

How often do you "floor it"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Default How often do you "floor it"

Just wondering how often people actually put the gas to the floor?
How often?
From standstill or cruizing?
And how many people think it is "dangerous"?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

These are not drag cars... certainly mine isn't, so I never WOT vfrom a standstill. I need the car to last and do not want to put that kind of strain on the drivetrain.
I do get annoyed @ other driver's (road rage if you will) when you have to wonder how they ever got a licence in the first place. In those cases, and in city traffic in general, sometimes there is little choice but to floor it or get stuck.

Just the other day, I got behind a Dodge 3500 dually dragging a small trailer. Not only didn't the truck have any muflaps on it, but the trailer didn't even have fenders!! I got "stuck" behind him for several miles doing 40-45mph in what is normally a 65mph zone, and in the left hand lane, of course. I felt in control and easily safe doing 55mph, so when I finally got around his slow-moving, rooster-tail throwing *ss, he flicked on his hi-beams and left them on, like it was ME that was doing something wrong and I had pissed HIM off.
Stupid people should not be driving, and should not be allowed to buy and drive big trucks.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm just curious, I've never actually had mine to the floor, kinda scared.
Just wondering what this car will do if I decide to hammer down.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

It's an ETB!!
The car will accelerate quickly, but smoothly as the TB butterfly will NOT slam open as with a cable or linkage controled TB. It will open more smoothly because it's actually controlled by the ECU which has software designed to meet the EPA standards.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 AM

In the rx7, I like to spool it up and run out some long, empty road. I like to drag race on the track occasionally, but my meditation is spooling the turbo through second and third when I'm on an empty road at night. In the wagon, I do the same sometimes, but it's just not the same experience as in the 7.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM

It would seem to me that burning out some carbon from time to time my not be a problem, but don't close to over-revving, and shift gently, of course, without ANY clutch slipping (fully engage clutch before re-applying the hammer to the pedal) -- can't speak to issues of high torque on an automatic transmission.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Default every weekend

i take my 96 milly S out on route 66 and blow it out on the weekends.if i dont it gets sluggish when i need it to get up and go.a little scary to FLOOR it on such an old car with 180,000m .but hard NOT to ..the roads and scenery are just beautiful here in oklahoma.especially the turner turnpike.speed limit is 75 and ive doubled that,minus 17mph.(SHHHHHH) never again but it was fun.great running car.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by rogerbohl
It would seem to me that burning out some carbon from time to time my not be a problem.
I'm with this guy. I don't think from time to time it's a bad thing but I wouldn't do it everyday or every time I left a light.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed!
But then too w/much cleaner modern fuels, oils and engines, "burning out the carbon," a.k.a the Italian tune-up, isn't as necessary as it used to be either.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Take it you don't use Hucks fuel much. LOL

Quick Reply: How often do you "floor it"