Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

unusual circumstances in buying car

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Default unusual circumstances in buying car

Looking for an rx7, I found what looks like a good deal on an FC, white convertible. High miles but apparently the engine is sound and the price is great.

I have some questions regarding the car's history though. The current owner bought the car ten years ago for a project but never worked on it. He has the title but never signed it and transferred it to his name. Also, it has not been registered at all for at least ten years, not even on non-op. He also said that he had sold the car previously but the sale was reversed when the buyer came back saying it would cost a fortune to register. Sketchy situation right!

So first I wonder who actually currently owns the car? Can I just go down to the dmv with the vin# and find out what's going on and how much it would cost me to register? I am in California.

It hasn't been driven in five years. How much of a problem might there be with the old gas in the fuel pump, injectors, etc?

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 PM

Can't speak for CA DMV. I'm guessing it doesn't run as of right now? If you do purchase it, I would drop the fuel tank and dispose of any fuel left in there. Once the tank is out, you can remove the fuel line at the motor and use compressed air to blow the line clear. Fresh fuel with some SeaFoam added should be enough to take care of any lingering old fuel issues.