Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

So my dad flipped his car last night.....

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Ah, ya, your right. That's not the actual tie rod, just the spindle plate it mounts to.

Well, I don't disagree with you... But I think it might just be a streak of bad luck/carelessness mainly. It's starting to warm up now and people are becoming more comfortable with the driving conditions. The streets may be dry in the sun, however as they round a shady corner, a patch of black ice is there waiting for them..... He's been driviing high profile cars for years now without a wreck; not exactly sure what's going on now....

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Well we got some news from the Boulder Collision Center today, the car is TOTALED!! When I heard they were totaling it, I was like, "What?! Why?" Apparently the frame is bent. When I look at the picture closer (the one that shows the bottom of the car up), if you look at the bottom on the drivers side, right next to the wheel, it looks like the frame may have pinched? Not sure...

But anyways, this changes our plans a bit... We're trying to decide if dad deserves another car, . I was thinking that, since dad really likes mom's Mercury Mountaineer, give him that car and let HER pick out a new car. Mom isn't sure about that tho... She doesn't want dad to flip her 'beautiful' car, lol . Any suggestions on cars for her or for dad? I was thinking a Subaru hatchback or something; must be AWD/4x4 and low center of gravity for him....

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

i think a bus pass may be better suited to your dad

Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, B, but I'm inclined to agree.
2 - 4X4's in less than a month, plus you say he is familiar with these vehicles (had driven the Mountaineer a long time) perhaps the old man just ain't got it anymore.

OK, so we are having a little fun here at your Dad's expense.

I can tell you that we had to take my mother's license away from her fairly recently. Her judgment had been failing her for a while now and we (my remaining family) all knew it, but she didn't think so at all. She was completely convinced that she was right and everybody else was wrong.
She totaled her Honda Accord after misjudging a left-hand turn in front of somebody. No one was hurt, thankfully, but that was enough for us to tell her No more!! It was hard but it had to be done before she killed herself or worse, somebody else, like an innocent bystander.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Get him a bus pass, haha. Not a bad idea actually, only problem with that is the only bus that comes around out here is the school bus (rural colorado), .

Ha, if I told my dad that he was losing it he'd punch me in the face (hypothetically), lol. Nah, he's only 51... But I see your point tho, he could be in denial, .

We've got him driving my sisters lil Saturn now for a bit (she's scared stiff about it, lol), so this is sort of his "test peroid" to see if he really has gone off the wall or if it was just a couple flukes in judgment. I'd like to see him try to flip that!

Attached Thumbnails So my dad flipped his car last night.....-photo0122.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

shouldnt be hard in the saturn those things handle like a lead sponge

Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bshelley234
Ha, if I told my dad that he was losing it he'd punch me in the face (hypothetically), lol.

Nah, he's only 51... .

I understand. It's tough when you "lose it."

Would it surprise you to know that in less than two months (6 weeks, 6 days to be exact) I will be 54!!??

Hell, I lost "it" YEARS AGO!!!!

It's been a long time since I've been involved in an accident though and never a rollover. My insurance company LOVES ME!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 PM

HOLY SMOKES!! Your gonna be 54? Wow, I guess I am really young... I'm 19, lol. You've got an awesome car for a 54 year old!!

Mom's looking at 03' Toyota Highanders right now. She test drove one and I think she's hooked, lol.

Haha, they handle like a lead sponge? Thats a new one for me, lol. Actually, I've driven it alot and it handles pretty good I thought. It's pretty much gutless, but the handling I thought was alright; WAY better than my friends Dodge Neon....

Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks... I think?
Wait a minute!! What are you saying? That I am not allowed an awesome looking car because of my age? Or that my car would be more awesome looking if I were younger?

(Got ya'!!)

Well then, you have an awesome looking truck... for a 19 yr old. (See what I did there??)

I don't know. Maybe it's me but I see a lot of Highlanders around here. Even my boss (lady) has one and to me they are rather boring.

My wife had a Saturn for 7-8 yrs. It was a '95, first gen series. It was OK. As you say it was gutless and could have had better feeling brakes (it stopped well enough but you really had to want to stop it), but it handled pretty well IMO and we hadn't done anything to it. It was completely stock.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Oh snap! Flipped it around on me there, lol . But probably true for a 19 year old, I think I kinda over spent on it.... The payments are murder...
I guess I'm guilty of stereo typing on ya there, so I apologize . I just sort of assumed that since you had a nice car u were a younger guy, lol. My mind just sorta works that way, .

Ya, I know what you mean, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!! Although I must admit, the interiors are nice.... Were also looking at Subi Outbacks, or possibly Chrysler T&C AWD? I hear those get bad reviews tho....

I also kinda like the look of the newer MPV's. Do they come in AWD?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So my dad flipped his car last night.....