Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/)
-   -   New PC!!! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/new-pc-28869/)

MazdaTirol 03-17-2012 12:04 PM

New PC!!!

Well after a month of keeping my poor laptop going I finally broke down and built myself a new PC :D Old laptop was dying slowly, left mouse button broke inside but still worked although it was very loose and fragile. I decided to build my own PC this time, I have never liked buying one since I bought my laptop in '09, it's a HP DV6-1245DX and it served its purpose......mostly, was just never any good for games, Intel cant make a decent "graphics" chip to save their butts and I HATE bloatware thats installed on all the consumer PCs in the stores. Anyways back to the new toy.

I call it "The Monolith" this thing is freaking HUGE, I bought the cheapest case I could get (29 Euro) but didn't read the size specs and I should have. The case is a Chieftec CA-01 (CHIEFTEC | CA01) and is 20-5/6"X8-1/13"X25-7/12"........its HUGE!!!! It also weighs a bit over 35lbs........EMPTY!

For my mobo I bought a Gigabyte board: Z68X-UD3-B3
12GB of DDR3 (was on sale for under 70 euro)
110GB Intel SSD (OS only)
1TB Seagate
Gigabyte GTX570Ti (GV-N570OC-13I)
Intel i7-2600@3.4GHz
27" LCD

I bought a LG DVD burner and am VERY disappointed in it, it is VERY slow and noisy, reminds me to my old IBM I had with a 5 1/4" drive. Planning on swapping this out with something better.

When I assembled this thing I put the burner in the top drive slot only to find out my SATA cables couldn't reach that high, they were short by about 7 inches LOL.

Anyways I love this new PC, can actually play all my games now.........mostly, it doesnt like some of my old old games. Windows gives it a score of 7.6, 7.6, 7.8, 7.8 & 7.3.

Whenever I use a PC without a SSD for its primary drive (my laptop for instance) I am amazed at how fast this is and how long I used to wait for things to happen, booting takes less than 20 seconds and is usable right from the moment you see the start button.

All in all I love this new machine :D Just gotta get some games to really put it through its paces :D

shipo 03-17-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol (Post 126741)
Anyways I love this new PC, can actually play all my games now.........mostly, it doesnt like some of my old old games. Windows gives it a score of 7.6, 7.6, 7.8, 7.8 & 7.3.

Wow, that's pretty darned fast! My nearly three year old laptop only rates a score of 6.2, 6.2, 6.4, 6.4, & 5.9.

Even though this computer does pretty much everything I need it to do (primarily software development in the realms of scientific instrumentation interfacing to databases), it is missing one "must have" feature found on pretty much all late model laptop computers; an HDMI port (or better yet two). Given the stuff I typically have up on my screen at any given moment in time, I'm already using the 1400 x 900 laptop screen plus an external 23" 1920 x 1080 screen. The problem is that when driving the external monitor via the single VGA port on my machine, the image isn't very stable; when plugged into an HDMI port, the display is freakin' brilliant. So, a laptop with two HDMI ports along with a matched set of say, 25" HD monitors and I'd be in pig heaven. :)

Long story short, while I don't need a new computer, I want a new one; and your post is making me want it even more. :p

MazdaTirol 03-19-2012 01:26 AM

My laptop is pathetic when it comes to graphics, it scores a 3.2 under gaming graphics and it cant support Shader 2.0 fully only some parts. So word of warning to anyone shopping around for a PC/Laptop, dont buy one with Intel graphics, you will regret it.

shipo 03-19-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol (Post 126833)
My laptop is pathetic when it comes to graphics, it scores a 3.2 under gaming graphics and it cant support Shader 2.0 fully only some parts. So word of warning to anyone shopping around for a PC/Laptop, dont buy one with Intel graphics, you will regret it.

When I ordered my laptop back in the summer of 2009 I knew I was going to be running Windows 7 on it with multiple monitors, so I opted for the nVidia video card upgrade; sure glad I did. :)

MazdaTirol 03-26-2012 02:48 PM

That's not bad for a laptop :D Have heard good things about the Vaios, HP on the other hand.......blech

shipo 03-26-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol (Post 127151)
That's not bad for a laptop :D Have heard good things about the Vaios, HP on the other hand.......blech

Sorry to say, the guy you responded to is a Spammer from India; the betting is he doesn't even have a laptop.