Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Ford sells Mazda stake, 11-18

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Default RE: Ford sells Mazda stake, 11-18

Nice, I knew this would happen sooner or later. Before we know it, Mazda will be completely freeto stretch its wing to fly wherever he wants..lol! Ok maybe not!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Mazda is a small company compared to its Japanese rivals and even if Ford was completely out of the picture, I don't think that they'llbe free. More likely than not, they'llpartner upwith anotherautomaker. But I am of the opinon that the partnership with Fordhas been a good thing for Mazda.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM

You've got quite the love of Ford there UB....

It's been good for both companies...remember, the guy that was in charge of Mazda during the initial stages of their turnaround and who laid the groundwork for their improvements was Mark Fields (current President of the Americas - Ford). Mazda has also saved significant money on platform development by teaming with Ford on the Mazda6, Tribute and CX-9.

I expect that Ford/Mazda will continue to work together in the future.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same as it would benefit both companies in these financially unstable times.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 PM

basically that means the only cars made in japan that are in canada/USA are rx-8, and mazda3, cuz i think the trucks are made with the ford rangers iirc. ohh and the mazda5 is made in japan too

Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Wow this is getting interesting, don't forget Ford still has Volvo too. And I remember reading somewhere that the current Mazda3 using Ford C1 platform that is being design by engineers from Volvo, Mazda and Ford. They combine whatever Volvo, Ford and Mazda are good at into one platform. Maybe that explain why Mazda3 is so successfull worldwide partly. So yea, I agree with you guys, Ford and Mazda still need each other somewhat to benefit from each other.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Yes, its true, the current Mazda 3 is built on a Volvo designed frame (might even be Volvo forged, not sure), and as we all know, the handling characteristics of this car are great.

So I agree,the relationship with Ford has provided benefits to Mazda, but I can't help butwonder if Mazda was more independent, they would not be building SUVs, and would instead spend their timefocusing on sport sedans and 2 doors. And perhapsmore of theMazda product line would be available in north america (more engine choices in the Mazda3, maybe the Mazda2, would be sold here).

A point,Mazda built interesting, great vehicles before Ford ever owned a part of them, so its not like Ford is THE reason Mazda has excellent products.

Also, if Mazda was independent, maybe my car would have a much better oil dipstick ...

Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Or it could go the other way too?
They might have to build SUV/CUV"s to be competitive in this market but may not have the money or influence to do it w/o Ford. We (you and I) may not like them that much but in general most Americans do. They just have to have their big vehicles so they feel safe and secure y"know.
IIRC, Mazda was having a tough time back in the day and was thinking about pulling out of the NA market before Ford came along.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Yea, they allare true. Mazda and Ford both relied on each other for their vehicles. Ford used some of Mazda vehicles as well and rebadged them as Ford in a few market in the world. Just as Mazda use Ford Ranger and Ford escape to rebadge their Mazda B-series truck and Tribute. Also, Ford uses Mazda6 platform for Ford midsize sedan Fusion, Mercury Milan, & Lincoln MKV (if i got the name right).

As far as I notice though, in general term, Japanese cars that are built and import into US are still far more realiable and less problem than Japanese cars built in US factory. That goes to Toyota, Honda and Nissan as well. I had so many friends that have driven Japanese cars built in US have just as much problems as the American Big 3 cars. But when the car are built in Japan, then is a whole different story. Thus, hint hint...Mazda3 in general usually got so much less problems and more realiable than Mazda6 built in US Ford facilities. I have owned both Mazda 626 (built in US and Mazda Protege (built in Japan). My 626 when it hit 100K+ miles got nothing but tons of problems (suspension, engine burning oil, transmission slip, CV boots leak, etc.), which I got rid of,and my Protege which I still have, 137K+ miles still going strong and almost problemless.

Quick Reply: Ford sells Mazda stake, 11-18