Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/)
-   -   Car Chases (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/car-chases-30927/)

UseYourNoggin 01-24-2013 10:04 AM

Car Chases

This thread will be full of your best car chases. Let's keep it movies, shows, nothing real.
I will start with some of the best, where it all began with the 3 best early car chases. The chase in Bullitt altered the tone of cop films and upped the ante for writers and directors who felt obliged to attempt to surpass it. Some gems came later, notably in The French Connection and The Seven-Ups (both by Bill Hickman). Although the Bullitt chase is no longer the most kinetic in movie history, it almost certainly is still the best.
1) 1968 Movie "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen driving a 1967 Mustang Fastback and a rival driving a 1968 Dodge Charger 440.
Two identical Mustangs and two matching Chargers were used in the Bullitt chase sequence. So that the four-speed Mustang could run more easily with the brawnier four-speed 440 Magnum Charger, Hollywood engineer Max Balchowsky installed a racing cam on both Fords, milled the heads, and modified the ignition and carburetion systems. Additionally, Balchowsky bulked up the suspensions of all four cars for improved strength, handling, and control. One Mustang and one Charger were fitted with a full roll cage.
McQueen insisted on driving the Mustang during the carefully choreographed pursuit, but when he failed to make a turn after locking up his wheels he sealed the deal for pro driver Bud Ekins, who handled the Mustang during the jouncy maneuvers along San Francisco's famously hilly streets. Stunt driver/actor Bill Hickman piloted the Charger.
McQueen confirmed that the sweet racket of the car's engine and transmission were overdubbed recordings of a Ford GT40 driven at full tilt.

This is the full car chase, great exhaust sound so crank it up!

2) French Connection 1971
Most of it was live and streets were not cleared. This is what makes it unique, dangerous. Best footage on video is from 3:02 to 5:00. He honks the horn alot because it is not rehearsed and there is 1 scene where he almost hits a lady pushing a baby in a buggy. It took a long time to find this particular chase and quality is poor.

3) Seven Ups 1973. Best part is @ 9:30 when he rams in to the back of a large trailer.

I'm sure we will see some from Fast & Furious, Transporter. A small explanation on why you think it's good or unique would be a bonus.

tanprotege 01-24-2013 10:25 AM

Ronin:

The Bourne Idendity:

UseYourNoggin 01-24-2013 10:45 AM

I saw Ronin and liked the chase.
Another one of my favorites is this one from the Man with the Golden Gun 1974, which has the famous 360 bridge jump and the flyin car also is shown in this video (shortened):

tanprotege 01-24-2013 04:53 PM

The Bourne Idendity chase is so realistic. She almost barfed going against the traffic.

Ronin has several chases, but Robert DeNiro sucks as driver.

I remember a chase in an Aussie movie, but I don't remember the title. This guy had a junk yard and an open wheel race car. He tested the car on public roads and fooled the cop. I'll search the movie base.

UseYourNoggin 01-24-2013 05:36 PM

The Driver from 1978. He just loses 1 cop to find a few more! Near the end he plays chicken with 2 cops coming toward him

This one is really good. They race through a warehouse district, sewer area, and wrong way on highway. You'll recognize the driver from CSI. 1985 To Live & Die in L.A.

Of course the DUKES OF HAZZARD. A Collage of their jumps:

UseYourNoggin 01-24-2013 06:44 PM

MAD MAX:

UseYourNoggin 01-25-2013 11:45 AM

This one is just too cool to pass up.
This stop motion action film using toy cars took 6 months to shoot for just under 3 minutes of film! It was filmed using bespoke rigging systems and an iPhone with an application called Stop Motion Studio.
A super-charged Ford Mustang is under hot pursuit by the law and throws them off its tail one by one, but it may have met its match when it comes up against a mysterious black police Chevy Corvette...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=f7H9rrroq6E#!

Don't know why this one didn't max to a screen, oh well, ****happens!
Hey that was 1 of my aliases!

UseYourNoggin 01-25-2013 06:48 PM

ITALIAN JOB 1969
Can't find a good video that shows a mix of all scenes cause there is so many, however this one show multiple with comments:

UseYourNoggin 02-17-2013 12:38 PM

We will have a New Contender: The New Die Hard - "A Good Day To Die Hard", starring Bruce Willis, There were 132 (cars) that could never be used again. Another 518 required a lot of work. And damn right there were some good cars there... That's the fun of it.
it was like an $11 million car chase sequence. Interestingly enough, that $11 million tally didn't include a "several" Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUVs. According to Moore, the German automaker provided G wagons at no cost for filming, and, of course, all of them were wrecked.

We have a TEASER VIDEO: