New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Trouble shooting ticking noise from drivers side wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Default Trouble shooting ticking noise from drivers side wheel

New member here. I have a 2006 Mazda 5. About 6 months ago I ran over something on the freeway and within a few moments had a flat tire. After I remove the tire, I noticed the him was bent and cracked. I hit something hard. Anyway, decided to get 4 new rims and tires 😁! The reason I am including this story is because I thought it could be relevant to the ticking noise that I am hearing from the front drivers side wheel well area when I am driving. The ticking goes faster as I increase speed. I begin to hear it at about 10 mph. I have read a lot of post about the same issue and I have checked several things. there is nothing stuck in my tire. I have raised the front end and put the car in gear and could not hear the sound at all. I only hear it when it is on the ground. By the way, the passengers side wheel was spinning much faster than the drivers side. I have removed the brakes to check for rocks, cleaned, greased and put them back together. With the tire on the raised vehicle, I held the tire at 12 and 6 and tries to wiggle the tire, there was no movement. I even put one of my stock rims and tires back onto the front. I've checked all the CV boots and all staring composts. Everything is good and tight. I still hear that darn ticking noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of replacing the CV shaft this weekend. Thank you.

Last edited by 06Mazda5; 08-30-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: New guy. Sorry. Wanted to delete this because I pasted the post into the correct area. Thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Default Oops.

Just realized that i put this in the new members area. Hopefully i ran figure out how to move it to the correct area. I also wanted to add that when i had the front raised and was turning the tire by hand, i would turn the tire about an inch forward and then the same amount backward and i did hear a click and felt A little resistance. The sound was coming from where the CV shaft went into the transmission.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Default Update

Just a quick update. I have not changed the CV yet. I rolled up the drivers side window while driving today, and rolled down the passenger side window. I could hear the ticking on that side as well. Also, the ticking noise is there weather I am going straight or turning either direction. Could it be something to do with my transmission? What could I check to narrow down this issue? Please, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.