New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Protege5 cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Default Protege5 cranks but doesn't start

Hello everybody, I got myself in a bit of a pickle. I have a 2002 protege5 automatic. About 3 years ago I put a new motor in it from Japan with 48k miles on it. It ran like a champ until 2 days ago. I noticed a small coolant leak from a small hose that goes from the intake manifold to the engine. It's my fault for not taking care of it sooner, but it wasn't leaking to the point where it was overheating or I had to top off.

Yesterday while I was on the freeway my AC stopper working but there was no overheating. I got to my destination and when I left the car started just give. AC still didn't work but the car was not overheating and the needle never went above the halfway point. As soon as I got off the freeway and stopped at the light, the car took off fine but the engine immediately cut off and it was overheating. I tried starting to no avail. I let inertia work and rolled downhill to a safe spot.

I popped the hood and there was coolant everywhere. From this point on, the car wouldn't start. It would crank, but no start. I got it towed to my house and started working on it by replacing the hose that was leaking, replacing the alternator belt (it was in bad shape) and even got the alternator tested (alternator is fine). While in was there I chatted the oil (no water or coolant in the oil), and I drained all the coolant from the radiator and the hoses so I can do a flush. Coolant came out without any oil in it. I replaced the coolant with distilled water so I can burp the system. I put everything back in place and when I went to start it, it did the same thing: crank but no start. I tried jumping the battery thinking that's the problem, but still no start.

Now I wanna mention that when I replaced the hose, I had to make room to reach it. I disconnected another hose which I believe was a fuel line because well it smelled like gas. I plugged it back in and the smell of gas went away. I mentioned this in case it has something to do with this problem.

I also checked the pulleys. The alternator, water pump and power steering move freely, but the crank one I had to use a socket to turn it. It turns both ways, and I have to out a bit of an effort into turning it. One sec it'll turn super easy and the next I have to put effort.

I'm not sure if it's the starter since it's not like it clicks or dosnt turn on at all. But I'm hoping that's all it is, rather than have the engine be warped.

Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks a lot guys and gals.