New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mazda 3 2019 has consumption issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 AM
Default Mazda 3 2019 has consumption issue

I recently bought a mazda 3 gs 2019 in july. I have been driving the car in order to bring down the the average gas consumption. I was able to bring it all the way down to 6.4L/100km. However, there was a mazda recall for concerns regarding loose tire nuts, indicator unit for seat belt and rocker arm. I went to the dealer to have my vehicle inspected for the possible concerns. Thankfully my car didn't have any of the recall issues. Ever since this visit to the dealer my average gas consumption has been increasing, within 2 weeks it went from 6.4L/100km to 8.9L/100km. My driving habits have stayed the same and my route has stayed the same. I just do not understand why the consumption is constantly increasing with all the other factors staying constant. I make a 30km trip 5 days a week using highway to work and my speed stays approximately around 90kmph. I keep the acceleration indicator below the average point to bring down the consumption rate like I did before.
Has anyone encountered such an issue?Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. Which engine do you have in your new 3?

The visit to the dealer should not have had anything to do with the change in fuel consumption. If you are depending on the vehicle computer's calculation of fuel consumption, you may want to recalculate it the old fashion way. Fill up the tank and check the mileage and the next time you need to fill up calculate the fuel usage for that tank and number of litters added. This will tell you if you have something wrong with the vehicle or the computer. After a few tanks, if the consumption does not improve, take it back to the dealer and have them evaluate the car.

I find that my fuel consumption varies greatly based on traffic, hills, season of the year the driver and so on. As an example, I get significantly better consumption on the way to work than I do on the way home. It sounds like you have accounted for all of these factors.

For the Americans reading this post 6.4L/100km is about 36.8 mpg and 8.9L/100km is about 26.4 mpg.