New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Need Complete Guideline To Buy a Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Default Need Complete Guideline To Buy a Mazda 3

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum. I am a big fan of Mazda 3 Sedan. I need a complete step by step guideline to buy a 2019 Mazda 3 . Can anyone help?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Not sure what you're asking. Are you needing information on how to configure the car? If so, go to the Mazda Canada site and all of the options will be there. If you're asking about how to perform the purchase, you go to the dealership, take a few test drives, figure out which version of the car you want, and negotiate a price for either a purchase or a lease; your preference.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Not sure what you're asking. Are you needing information on how to configure the car? If so, go to the Mazda Canada site and all of the options will be there. If you're asking about how to perform the purchase, you go to the dealership, take a few test drives, figure out which version of the car you want, and negotiate a price for either a purchase or a lease; your preference.
Thanks for the reply. Suppose I choose a specific model from Mazda Canada website with all the specific detail. Now I wish to buy that from my nearest dealer. but when I visit the dealer's website I can see that my chosen car is not in their inventory. How can I get the model that I choose from the dealer?

Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by AcinonyxJubatus
Thanks for the reply. Suppose I choose a specific model from Mazda Canada website with all the specific detail. Now I wish to buy that from my nearest dealer. but when I visit the dealer's website I can see that my chosen car is not in their inventory. How can I get the model that I choose from the dealer?
I'm thinking you're way overthinking this. Talk to the dealer; they have lots of options:
  • The car you want may have already been produced and is inbound to the dealership.
  • The car you want may be at a different dealer and they can do a trade (dealers do it all of the time).
  • You can put in a factory order and have the exact car you want built specifically for you.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 AM

I understand your concerns / hesitation with the new car buying process. Assuming this is your first new car purchase, it can be intimidating. I recommend that you take someone with you, preferably someone who is (or looks like they could be) more experienced in the car buying process. I think I have brought my father to a half dozen car purchases. Taking someone with you helps if you are 16 or 60. You will notice the dealership will have more than one person involved in the sale. The sales person will always have to go to the manager. It's part of the game.

I recommend you start with research well before you buy. Start with the internet. Study the models on the Mazda Canada website and select the trim level that gives you what you need. Compare the price difference for the higher levels and determine if the upgrade is worth the extra cost. If you only really want one or two things in that next level of trim, is it worth the extra $2,000 or whatever.

Don't limit your focus to the Mazda 3 until you have considered a few options, perhaps Corolla and Civic. If the Mazda is the right car for you, you will only be sure if you look at what else is out there.

Test drive every model you are considering. You don't need to test drive all the different trim levels, however, I would drive a car with every engine you are considering. Tell the dealership you are not ready to buy, just narrowing down your list at this point. Tell them you will be ready to buy in a week/month or whatever is appropriate.

After you know the model you are looking for, go to the websites for a few dealerships near you. Up to 100 to 200 miles if necessary. Request the best price for the same model and level of trim that you are looking for. Most dealerships should have a button to request more information about a specific vehicle. Don't worry about the color at this point. You are not buying a car, just getting some prices.

Edmunds.com had a feature where they would give you several proposals for a model you select. This is a great option as well in addition to your own research if it is still available.

Review the deals looking for the hidden costs which should be in the fine point. Focus on the total purchase price (and extra fees, taxes and so on)

Call your bank, a local credit union and a few other banks to get an idea of what rate you will qualify for and the payments for a car of the amount from your responses.

Call your insurance broker and find out how much the insurance will be.

Stop and make sure you can afford all the costs of a new car. (I am an accountant, I have to think like this)

Take the best price to the closest dealership that has exactly what you are looking for. Test drive that car to confirm it is really what you want. Ask the salesperson to match the deal you found at the other dealership. 9 times out of 10, they will match it.

After the price is negotiated, compare their offer of financing to the bank offer you found and go for the best deal.

Do not buy all the extras they try to add on. You can nearly double your payments just by buying things you don't need. They make huge profit on extended warranties, paint protection, fabric protection and so on. These are seldom worth the price.

It is harder to get a price well below invoice for a new model, however, it is possible when you go in with the right documentation.
If none of the local dealerships have what you are looking for wait a week or two. Mazda is building up the local inventory. Exactly what you want will be available soon if it is not already available.

Buying with a trade in is chapter 2 of this book...

I have saved thousands buying a new model when the dealership only had two on their lot because another dealership 100 miles away gave me a great price on the car. The first dealership assumed they would make it up on the trade in and I was able to hold the second dealership to the trade in offer they mailed me who assumed they would make it up on the new vehicle price. The net difference between the initial and final deal was about $3,000 and $1,500 below what I expected to pay.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I understand your concerns / hesitation with the new car buying process. Assuming this is your first new car purchase, it can be intimidating. I recommend that you take someone with you, preferably someone who is (or looks like they could be) more experienced in the car buying process. I think I have brought my father to a half dozen car purchases. Taking someone with you helps if you are 16 or 60. You will notice the dealership will have more than one person involved in the sale. The sales person will always have to go to the manager. It's part of the game.

I recommend you start with research well before you buy. Start with the internet. Study the models on the Mazda Canada website and select the trim level that gives you what you need. Compare the price difference for the higher levels and determine if the upgrade is worth the extra cost. If you only really want one or two things in that next level of trim, is it worth the extra $2,000 or whatever.

Don't limit your focus to the Mazda 3 until you have considered a few options, perhaps Corolla and Civic. If the Mazda is the right car for you, you will only be sure if you look at what else is out there.

Test drive every model you are considering. You don't need to test drive all the different trim levels, however, I would drive a car with every engine you are considering. Tell the dealership you are not ready to buy, just narrowing down your list at this point. Tell them you will be ready to buy in a week/month or whatever is appropriate.

After you know the model you are looking for, go to the websites for a few dealerships near you. Up to 100 to 200 miles if necessary. Request the best price for the same model and level of trim that you are looking for. Most dealerships should have a button to request more information about a specific vehicle. Don't worry about the color at this point. You are not buying a car, just getting some prices.

Edmunds.com had a feature where they would give you several proposals for a model you select. This is a great option as well in addition to your own research if it is still available.

Review the deals looking for the hidden costs which should be in the fine point. Focus on the total purchase price (and extra fees, taxes and so on)

Call your bank, a local credit union and a few other banks to get an idea of what rate you will qualify for and the payments for a car of the amount from your responses.

Call your insurance broker and find out how much the insurance will be.

Stop and make sure you can afford all the costs of a new car. (I am an accountant, I have to think like this)

Take the best price to the closest dealership that has exactly what you are looking for. Test drive that car to confirm it is really what you want. Ask the salesperson to match the deal you found at the other dealership. 9 times out of 10, they will match it.

After the price is negotiated, compare their offer of financing to the bank offer you found and go for the best deal.

Do not buy all the extras they try to add on. You can nearly double your payments just by buying things you don't need. They make huge profit on extended warranties, paint protection, fabric protection and so on. These are seldom worth the price.

It is harder to get a price well below invoice for a new model, however, it is possible when you go in with the right documentation.
If none of the local dealerships have what you are looking for wait a week or two. Mazda is building up the local inventory. Exactly what you want will be available soon if it is not already available.

Buying with a trade in is chapter 2 of this book...

I have saved thousands buying a new model when the dealership only had two on their lot because another dealership 100 miles away gave me a great price on the car. The first dealership assumed they would make it up on the trade in and I was able to hold the second dealership to the trade in offer they mailed me who assumed they would make it up on the new vehicle price. The net difference between the initial and final deal was about $3,000 and $1,500 below what I expected to pay.

Thanks for your detail analysis on the subject. I will try to follow this guideline. Appriciate your time .