New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:13 AM
Default Hello

Hi All, posting from Auckland area, New Zealand.
My wife and I recently purchased a month low kilometers Mazda Demio (Mazda 2)
This is a Japanese used import. It's a 1500cc 4 cyl Deisel 2015 SkyActive automatic model.

We love it especially the fuel consumption which is currently 4.3l/per 100kms (54.7 US MPG).

Old 08-29-2018, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the forum. I wish we, in the US, could import non-US spec cars from other countries. We are now lucky to be able to import cars over 25 years old. Are there limits?

Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM

I guess the first issue for the US is that Japan like New Zealand is RHD - we drive on the left side of the road so other than language everything else is the same as a new car purchased in NZ.
In Japan they're taxed annually by two formulas. One is on the size of the vehicle and fuel, e.g a small car like a Mazda 2 attracts less annual registration tax but they're also taxed by the age of the vehicle so as cars age from new their tax due also rises. This encourages a lively roll over of relatively low age and kilometer cars which countries like NZ can import from. There is no limit to what age a car is though the typical JDM import would be between 3 and 7 years old with milage of between 20 and 80k kilometers and be one owner.

Our government has put legislation in place that protects buyers so all cars are certified to a strict criteria.

No cars are manufactured in NZ so all new cars are imports anyway and generally what you may buy as as a second hand import will be for the most part the same as the identical model sold new in NZ.