Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   DPF light (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/dpf-light-41130/)

SB186 01-01-2019 03:10 PM

DPF light

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a 2008 Mazda 5 Sport 2l diesel. Back in October I had my DPF light come on along with the engine management light and traction control light, I took it to a garage and they said that my DPF filter was blocked, I had the filter cleaned and garage was happy and told me all was good with the car, all lights went off and car seemed to be much better. I had been driving the car in Oct and Nov with no problems.

In December I went away in the car had travelled about 50 miles, when on the motorway when doing about 70mph the car kept misfiring and then the DPF, engine management and traction control lights have come back on. I took it back to the garage and the mechanic had a quick look at it (it was just before Christmas and he had a full garage to get done before closing for the Christmas break so didnt have alot of time to investigate) he said there is nothing wrong with DPF filter but couldnt look at it further due to not having time then and would look into it and get back to me in early January. I am not using the car at the moment and keen to get it fixed so I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and what they had done to fix it.

Thank you

grim_reaper 01-03-2019 03:49 AM

Diagnostic code check is the starting point.

How many kms/miles & months since its last service?

SB186 01-03-2019 05:02 AM

They garage did a code check but I cant remember what the codes were, it says something to do with the dpf but the dpf has just been cleaned and is clear.

It has done around 70k miles, it last had a service Feb 18 but the oil and filters were changed in October after the light came on the first timw.

grim_reaper 01-04-2019 06:38 AM

If the oil data isn't reset when changing the oil & filter, it will eventually bring on the DPF light.

William McCall 01-08-2019 01:51 AM

Fault codes

Knowing some fault codes will help but firstly which engine is in your m5 is it the pug 1.6 dv6 or the mazda 2.2? Secoundly if it was just the oil degredation it would only be a dpf light flashing but as i said sone fault codes would help work out your issue

SB186 01-08-2019 06:24 AM

Thank you for the comments. I now have the fault codes P242F and P2463. These were the codes that I got orginally back in October as wad told the filter was blocked so had it cleaned and the oil and filter changed must have only done 200 miles in it and the lights are back on and its the same fault codes. I really dont know what to do with it, the guy at the garage who was going to try and sort it early in the new year is now on holiday and I need to get it fixed but dont want to have to spend loads of money on it if it isnt going to fix it thank you

SB186 01-08-2019 10:32 AM

Its the 2.0l engine

grim_reaper 01-09-2019 05:05 AM

DTC P242F
Diesel particulate filter restriction-soot accumulation

DETECTION CONDITION• The PCM calculates diesel particulate filter soot accumulation based on the exhaust gas pressure sensor signal. If the PCM calculates that soot accumulation amount is more than 11 g/L {0.69 Ib/ft3}, the PCM determines that the diesel particulate filter soot accumulation excessive.
Diagnostic support note
• MIL illuminates if PCM detects the above malfunctioning condition in one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in the PCM.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• DTC is stored in the PCM memory.

POSSIBLE CAUSE• Exhaust gas pressure sensor piping restriction and/or damaged
• Diesel particulate filter restriction and/or damaged
• PCM malfunction

grim_reaper 01-09-2019 05:13 AM

DTC P2463:00
Diesel particulate filter restriction-soot accumulation

DETECTION CONDITION• The PCM calculates diesel particulate filter soot accumulation based on the exhaust gas pressure sensor signal. If the PCM calculates that soot accumulation amount is more than 13 g/L {0.8 Ib/ft3}, the PCM determines that the diesel particulate filter soot accumulation excessive.
Diagnostic support note
• The MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition in first drive cycle.
• PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition during the first drive cycle.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA (mode2) and snapshot data are available.
• The DTC is stored in the PCM memory.

POSSIBLE CAUSE•
Exhaust gas pressure sensor piping restriction and/or damaged
• Diesel particulate filter restriction and/or damaged
• PCM malfunction

Jeff.M 03-01-2019 07:25 PM

I’m pretty sure that once a DPF is replaced ( or cleaned properly ) that you will need to reset the DPF filter DATA with a really good scan tool or Mazda specific scan tool