Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Trunk won't open...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Default Trunk won't open...

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and have a question for you. I have a 2003 6 that was bought new. It has just under 50,000 miles on it now, but all of a sudden, the remote trunk release and button on the dash will not open the trunk. You press the buttons and it does not do anything. I was busy at the time and blew it off, using the key to "pop" the trunk. Now, a few days later, the key doesn't even pop the trunk. This is so strange and I have absolutely no idea why this is happening. Anyone out there with a fix?

Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Default RE: Trunk won't open...

It's possible for the electric solenoid to come apart. There's a threaded rod that goes thru it, can work it way out then it won't open.
You may be able to repair, the one I had put it back together and ordered new one, of course it was under wty. Becareful when removing the plastic stuff.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 AM

yoeah, something is broken, go to a dealership and have them take a look

Old 07-29-2005, 09:30 PM

First thing to check is to make sure the valet lockout button is not turned on. The button is in the glovebox in the upper left corner. This disables use of the inside release button and remote operation. Also make sure that you are not using the valet key as it will not open the trunk or glovebox lock. If all those are ok a trip to the dealer should be in order.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Smile Trunk won't open...

thank you babyhuey it worked
First thing to check is to make sure the valet lockout button is not turned on. The button is in the glovebox in the upper left corner. This disables use of the inside release button and remote operation.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Default Our solution

Ours is a 2005 saloon and it doesn't have a button below the steering wheel, or an isolator in th glove compartment. However, I found that the solution is that the release handle is stiff and gets stuck in the 'forward' position - it doesn't return to the default position. So when you try and open it it doesn't release. The solution is to push the back of the handle back in towards the boot as far as it will travel. Then lock the car, and unlock it, then it will open. Because the handle is still stiff (I will try some WD40 on it and see if it frees up a bit) I have found that moving it back into position when the boot is open means it will function properly for the next cycle of locking and unlocking. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Hi. First post. Just joined in order to say a big thank you to Trotboy. I've a Mazda 2 Capella. Tailgate/boot lid wouldn't open. No amount of dubious words seemed to make any difference ! Tried pushing the release handle back as suggested. Locked and unlocked on key fob. Bingo - it released. Took boot lid trim off and treated everything that moved with WD-40. Phew ! This could be a very handy site. Thanks again.