Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Stock tires = Flaming pile of s**t

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Default Stock tires = Flaming pile of s**t

How is it possible that I only got 25k out of the stock tires on my 05 Mazda6S? That is embarassing, and considering I barely lay down any rubber more than 3 or 4 times in a week what the hell?!?! Has anyone else experienced such a poor millage out of their stock tires? I find it hard to believe but am going to have fun ripping the rest of the rubber off these things before my new one's arrive... heh ;*)

D to the B

Old 12-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Default RE: Stock tires = Flaming pile of s**t

About 13k before mine (Bridgestones) needed replacing on my Mazda 6 Sport 2.3 !!! And I'm not a boy racer either (in my opinion).

Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM

If you burn out 3 or 4 times a week, no matter how hard you drive, that's going to significantly lower the tread life. I had my first set of tires for only 15K miles in my '04 mustang, I only visited the drags once for two runs, and maybe spun the tires once or twice a month. You're only going to get long tread life by driving within the speed limits, and taking it easy on the corners. Cornering hard kills tires fast too, and puts them under a lot of stress. You're lucky to get that much miles out of your tires thrashing on them that much.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 AM

Haha, yeah but who wants to stay within the limits? If I wanted to do that I would have gotten a toyota or something slow and economical like that. The whole point of a V6 is to open it up and if the tires can't hang with then I guess I need better tires, for instance, on order and less than 3 days away are my brand spanky new Perrilli P-Zero Nero's, which are going to laugh themselves stupid at how pathetic the stocks were by comparison. Can't wait to get those things... all I have to do now is burn out my clutch then I'll have my justification for dropping in a short shift kit and super lightweight fly wheel. I mean... not that I'm purposly trying to wreck certain parts on my car so I can get newer better one's... heh. So anyone know how I can justify getting a rear mounted turbo?

D to the B

Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 AM

I agree with JBix that tread life depends a lot on your driving style. You can pick a tire with a high tread wear rating so it will last longer. If you enjoy burn outs, etc & etc, go ahead & have fun, but be prepared to buy more tires.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 AM

damn...in that case, im that case im gonna need new tires in no time....i peel out like, 4 times a night when im driving home from work at1am.....and race home everyonce in a while when im in a good mood....and i have the stock Toyo Potenza'z (A18 or 81)
i'll probably have to rotate them in the spring and buy new rears....
whatever....i cant help it yo.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 AM

You do realize that "better" tires, i.e. sticker/better handling tires will wear even faster than the stock tires.

I believe the wear rating on the stock tires is 300. If you want more tire life, you need a tire with a higher # wear rating.

They'll handle like crap. Performance handling costs

Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 AM

You beat me to it sst. I was gonna say that. those p zero's are going to last probably around 15K miles the way you drive man. Stickier tires have a much worse wear life. Like sst said, that's the trade off. You can't have the best of both worlds in this case. As far as that goes, the big word is compromise.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 PM

im at 2700 miles. (yes. 27 hundred) AND MY FRONT TIRES ARE ALREADY WEARING DOWN[:@][:@][:@]
the edge of the tire ( where the sidewall meets tread ) is almost gone.

ok. so i do alotta very VERY hard cornering, and the ocassional parking lot burnout with a car full of people

BUT THIS IS PISSIN ME OFF. n im only 17 so i cant afford new tires. and my parents will think im crazy needing replacement tires at less than 3 thousand miles.

any help guys? any sugesstions on where i can get a tire swap? []

Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Your best bet will be to go to a tire/rim shop and see if they have any in that size from a trade up. Not to sound high and mighty, but if you can't afford new tires, it might be a good idea to just take it easy on them for a while. Needing new tires that early is pretty much rediculous.

Quick Reply: Stock tires = Flaming pile of s**t