Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

RS-R Sport-i Coilover Review - #ProjectSix

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Default RS-R Sport-i Coilover Review - #ProjectSix

Hey Everyone, Below is my thoughts and review on the RS-R Sport-i Coilovers

Here is the Link if you are interested in buying after the review:
Click HERE for RS-R Sport-i

I recently purchased a 2015 Mazda 6 to basically start a project build since the new 6's look incredible. So of course the first step in the build was to start with Suspension, and I have been doing research all over the inter webs and with some personal experience with riding in multiple different cars with multiple different coil over systems, and the one that had me kind of amazed was the RS-R Coilovers. Especially after being able to meet Ben of RS-R while in California it definitely allowed me see that they have some great people behind the company.

Name:  icwewBVl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  65.5 KB

I decided to do the install of the RS-R Coilovers myself since I have experience with installing other coil overs onto previous cars and friends car with no issues afterwards. Since hearing how easy the RS-R Coilovers are to install I figured these would be a breezy to put in.
Which they definitely were!!
As far as DIY ability is concerned; as long as you have any kind of knowledge with a tool you can do this yourself within a few hours.
On a scale of 1-10 on ease of install: 9/10 (the only reason its not a 10 is because it was hot as all hell that day lol)

Name:  EGVkyvRl.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB

With the help of a friend with the install, it was seriously one of if not the easiest coilovers I have ever installed. Unlike some Suspension systems where I would have to replace the Upper Pillow Mounts which would require spring compressors and a power drill, all of that is UNNECESSARY with the RS-R system.
With my setup I have the front and rear at max drop and the damping are on 30/32 stiffness. I was able to ride with the damping that stiff because the ride is still incredibly smooth especially considering how stiff I have the damping.

Name:  uZE4Sue.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  222.6 KB

I documented as much of the install as I could to show you guys how the coilovers would look afterwards. Which you will see below.

Cons:
It may be a little bit pricing compared to other coilovers.

Pros:
HAND-BUILT IN JAPAN. (explains the price)
32-way adjustable (more adjustment than the usual coilover systems)
Easy install: 9/10
Strong Construction over the OEM struts
Smooth Ride (Even when I have the Damping on 30/32)
Awesome people behind the company!!

First Impression:
The quality of the Sport-I's are really impressive, they simplified as many pieces as possible with solid welds making the system equal to if not stronger that OEM quality, like in the photo below. Also I can't say enough about the ride quality with sharp and quick response, it feels like I can take corners a lot faster just to have fun once in a while. Considering that I drive 3000 miles a month with my car, I really needed to make sure that I bought the right coilovers for ride quality and longevity and I am positive I got the right company. Although I can't speak on longevity yet the quality of the coilovers has me reassured Ill have NO issues.

Name:  PVtrvsV.jpg
Size:  192.2 KB
RS-R Sport-i On the RIGHT (Solid construction compared to OEM on the LEFT)

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, RS-R Sport-I coilovers may be a little more pricer than the average brand but I know I can install them with no issues and get them off of my mind, no worries about shocks going bad or any kind of issues that comes with other brands.

Name:  lheqsfY.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  325.0 KB
You can see the height difference vs the OEM, consider the Sport-i are far from full drop.

Name:  fVG8zpS.jpg
Size:  284.5 KB
The only reason the install didn't get a 10/10 because it was like 100 degrees outside.

Name:  vJcdkOA.jpg
Size:  393.1 KB
Packaging was solid and very well protected.

Name:  FRbl2mo.jpg
Size:  224.0 KB
How the rear setup looks when installed.

Name:  LgyNN24.jpg
Size:  324.5 KB
Rear spring height difference!!

Name:  15k8tpV.jpg
Size:  144.6 KB
How the front setup looks when installed.

Name:  y8fH7yI.jpg
Size:  782.6 KB
Before the Coils were installed

Name:  MZqi78c.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  386.8 KB
One side is done. Still needs to settle but you get the picture.

Name:  RT1e1w9.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  322.4 KB
Fell in LOVE with the new drop!!

More to come on #ProjectSix. This is just the beginning.