Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Rear Brake Discs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Default Rear Brake Discs

I have a Mazda 6 2.2 Sport-Nav (145) bought new December 2017. I have just had the first service after 12500+ miles. I have been told that the rear brake discs are heavily corroded and will need replacing. The question I have to you other Mazda owners is would you expect to have to replace the Brake Discs after only 12 months of regular use. If I have to replace them every 12 months the runnign costs of this car are far greater than I ever thought. Apart from that I am really pleased with the car, the spec etc.

So just like to know if this is a know issue, or have I been unlucky?

Thanks

Kevin

Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Generally corrosion is due to the operating environment like you are having a problem with . If you are needing to replace them get a brand like STOP TECH that at least has a coating. You may also want to use a place with a good customer service record and products with good warranties like The Tire Rack. (if available in your country)

Old 12-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am using the authorised Mazda dealer for this, I had it serviced there and will take it back. amazing how the disc's can corrode that much in a year where the car has been in use pretty much a number of time a week. I will ask if thye can use coated discs. More interested to know if this is a common thing with the Mazda car or if this is just a hazard of the style of brakes.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KevinMazda6
Thanks for the reply. I am using the authorized Mazda dealer for this, I had it serviced there and will take it back. amazing how the disc's can corrode that much in a year where the car has been in use pretty much a number of time a week. I will ask if they can use coated discs. More interested to know if this is a common thing with the Mazda car or if this is just a hazard of the style of brakes.

Thanks
I am not sure that there is any OEM brake disc's for a MAZDA that are coated? I have not really looked but for most other platforms of cars (not sure about trucks) there are not. You may need to supply them your own brake rotors if they except them to install?

It is NOT a common thing with any vehicle anywhere in the world. And as I said is operating environment effect with untreated materials that can deteriorate quickly with moisture or corrosive materials. I live in California at the bottom of the Sierra mountains , during the winter months we often go to RENO Nevada. The roads are treated with salt and other anti snow material that can cause severe corrosion of anything under the cars if I dont wash the under side with soap water and pressurized water shortly after the trip.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Kevin, can you take a photo?