Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   Radio won't turn on. (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/radio-wont-turn-31667/)

Sidewinder007 05-27-2013 04:50 PM

Radio won't turn on.

It all started with my CD player being jammed on my 05 Mazda 6. I took out my radio/cd player to clear the jam (piece of paper was stuck in there, don't ask how). Plugged in radio/cd player to make sure it still played CDs, worked perfectly. Turned off car. Next time I went to drive it the radio wouldn't turn on (also the 3 buttons below the radio (the AC button, Recirc Button, and the rear defroster button) do not light up anymore, and my LCD screen is blank.

I have tried everything I can think of. Checked all connections. Checked all fuses, even replaced the ones that I thought might lead to the radio (Room, Audio, etc). I also swapped the Audio relay with another one of the same kind (Fog I think) and still nothing. I also tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minuets.

I find it unlikely that the radio just went bad, so what else could it be? Also, even if the radio did go bad, would that stop the LCD display and the 3 buttons' lights to stop working also?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

UseYourNoggin 05-27-2013 06:47 PM

STEREO PROBLEMS TRY THIS

What is this hidden button option?
On your stock stereo, bose and non-bose, you can press different combinations of two certain buttons on the stereo to turn on or off functions, or test certain aspects of the stereo system.

Why should you care about some hidden options?
Aren't you annoyed when everytime you hit a button on the stereo it beeps at you? I know that it drives me to roadrage when I start scanning through stations or tracks to find a good song to listen to and all I hear is this "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep".

Is this a complete list of all the hidden options?
Nope, but you can be sure that once we get some more bored people to sit in their 6's for a few hours to mash buttons, that we will eventually find them. (or kidnap an engineer and force him to tell us all of them)

Do these options work for both the bose and non-bose stereos?
Yes and no. Yes you can try the hidden button combination on both stereos, and you can see the text on the display on what it is suppose to do on both systems, but there are certain functions that will "actually only" work and function as the text is displayed on one or the other, but not both. (see below combo's for details, if it works on both, it is labeled as both)

What can you do to help?
Well if you are bored as much as I was today, then get out to your cars and start hitting some buttons. If you do find a combo that isn't listed here, or if you find out what a function does that isn't listed here, by all means post it. Stop holding back :slap: :nana:

How to clear the option message from the lcd
Some of the option messages seem to just stay on the lcd and never go away. If this is the case, just hit the power button to turn off the stereo, then turn it back on, but remember that option you changed, will stay at whatever you changed it to unless you change it back with the same combo.

You turned off (or on) an option and you can't change it back
If you changed, (for example) the AMP option to off, and you are frantically are hitting the combo buttons to turn it back on and it won't, turn off the stereo, turn it back on, hit the button combo again and it will go to the on option.

Who found these options and who gets the credit for the find?
The mazda6 community? Heh. kinda hard to actually track down who found what and when or how. Like today I was just hitting buttons and found the AMP and ANT functions, but I have never read about those on the forums before, but that isn't to say somebody has tried it before me or even mentioned it before. So everyone deserves the credit. Round of drinks to everyone. On the house!
================================================== ===

Display Check:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Seek Up Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function illuminates all characters in the LCD to check for truncated or faint characters
(it's looking like that all the 6's have the metric LCD display)

Panning Audio:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Auto M Down Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function outputs sound to the speakers in teh following order to determine condition of the speakers and wiring harness between teh base unit and each speaker.
1. Left door speaker and tweeter
2. Right door speaker and tweeter
3. Right rear door speaker and woofer
4. Left rear door speaker and woofer

Clear Stereo Settings:
Stereo On - Hold Tune/Settings Button + (Any other button in the ENTIRE car besides stereo power button)
Both: This will reset any bass/treble/mid/fade... back to factory defaults. (this will not reset your saved stations or ALC settings, just the normal audio settings)

Turn Off/On Audio Beep:
Stereo Off - Hold Seek Down Button + #5 Button for 3-5 seconds
Both: This will turn off or on the audible beep every time you hit a stereo button. You will hear 1 long beep when the option is enabled, and 1 short beep when the option is disabled.

Check Radio Signal Strength:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + #2 Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function displays the radio reception condition to determine condition of the antenna, antenna feeders, and base unit (tuner)
(it will have a display of 0-9, bad reception to perfect reception)

ANT Off/On
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + AM Button
Non-Bose: Did not have any noticeable affect
Bose: ???
(think this is just a status message. When in CD mode your ANT is off, and when in FM/AM it is on, Any other info to what is really going on would be great.)

AMP Off/On
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Scan Up Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function displays the output state of the audio amplifier operating signal to determine condition of the audio amplifier, base unit, and wiring harness between the base unit and audio amplifier

Button Check
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + MD/Tape
Both: With this option enabled it will allow you to ensure that all buttons on the stereo works. Each button will give an audible alarm when pressed, including the steering wheel buttons.

Self Diagnostics - Fault Isolation(still need to check this one out)
Stereo Off - Hold Power Button + AM + TAPE/MD Buttons
Both: This will step through a series of self test to check for a proper working audio system. The first displayed message is who made your head unit and the part number. To stop the diagnostics and "pause" the screen, turn your ignition to the lock position.

michaelinderry 07-01-2013 01:38 PM

Similar 'radio won't turn on' problem

I took out my 2002 Mazda 323F Radio - Clarion BL4C669S0 / RT9418G (marked '2191' on radio face) - to remove a cassette which was stuck in the deck. I re-assembled it and re-installed it. It now won't turn on. I suspected a blown fuse as there seems to be no power to the unit and I now have the engine inspection warning light showing. The fuse seems to be ok! Does anyone have any ideas?

Keemo577 04-26-2017 07:49 PM

Found the issue with mine...

Originally Posted by Keidi Xhagolli (Post 160521)
Hello recently the same thing happened to my 2007 Mazda 6, I know it's been a long time but do you remember how you or a mechanic fixed this problem? It would be much appreciated if you would share it thanks.

I had the exact same issue. I checked through the fuses that I thought might be pertinent. After not finding anything, I tore my dash apart and used a multimeter to trace the ignition accessory lead around and found the culprit. To my surprise, it was the 5amp fuse labeled "Mirror." After replacing this, it all worked.

Lesson: Before spending hours disassembling and testing, check ALL fuses no matter how improbable you think they are.

Eavan Ivory 08-11-2018 04:42 PM

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have recently bought a second hand Mazda Demio (Japanese import). It has an Eclipse C9TB double din radio which is linked to a reverse camera and steering wheel controls. After I bought it I had an alarm fitted and the guy had to disconnect the battery to do that. Now the radio wont work as it's missing an SD card. I brought it back to the dealer where I bought it and they have tried to unlock the radio using other SD cards but this hasnt worked. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this resolved? I thought about getting a new radio installed but a European one won't fit. Really I would love to get an SD card as the radio is working perfectly otherwise.. but I have no idea where I can get one as it seems to need the specific one it originally came with! Appreciate if anyone can offer any advice!! Thanks

azzagee 12-11-2018 10:54 PM

same here

[i had the same problem with my 6262, no power to radio at all but after reading this went and checked all fuses and found the room 10amp fuse blown, replaced it and everything works fine now, thanks for your post it just saved me alot of money lol.. remember to check ALL fuses

QUOTE=Keemo577;162244]I had the exact same issue. I checked through the fuses that I thought might be pertinent. After not finding anything, I tore my dash apart and used a multimeter to trace the ignition accessory lead around and found the culprit. To my surprise, it was the 5amp fuse labeled "Mirror." After replacing this, it all worked.

Lesson: Before spending hours disassembling and testing, check ALL fuses no matter how improbable you think they are.[/QUOTE]

MrAtenza 01-31-2019 06:08 AM

It worked!!!!!

Originally Posted by Keemo577 (Post 162244)
I had the exact same issue. I checked through the fuses that I thought might be pertinent. After not finding anything, I tore my dash apart and used a multimeter to trace the ignition accessory lead around and found the culprit. To my surprise, it was the 5amp fuse labeled "Mirror." After replacing this, it all worked.

Lesson: Before spending hours disassembling and testing, check ALL fuses no matter how improbable you think they are.

I know this thread is a couple years old now, I even made an account just to write this but thank you so much!!! I own a 06 Atenza (jdm version of the 6) After upgrading my after market sub and amp to a more powerful system to my horror the music stopped playing during testing. No sound and no display on screen. Tried changing the audio fuse and bose relay under the hood and still no dice. I even went out and bought a whole replacement stereo unit which a friend recommended and unfortunately it didn't work. After a trawling through countless threads and replies I finally found yours! Thank you sir! It was indeed the 5 AMP "MIRROR" FUSE (which made me feel super dumb coz I did notice before hand I couldn't adjust or retract my mirrors) I now swear by your closing lesson. Could have save me 35 bucks if I checked all my fuses. At least I got a spare stereo now?🤣

....CHECK ALL FUSES...

MazdaF 02-25-2019 06:43 AM

try to make hard reset thats help me

fnagherjr01 10-12-2019 03:03 PM

Radio and inside lights won't turn on.

Hello, my Mazda 6 2013 recently needed a new battery. The battery was being installed backward and it blew the main fuse. I replaced the main fuse, but I'm still having some electrical problems such as the radio and interior lights will not turn on. I checked the other fuses, but it doesn't look like any of them are blown. Any ideas as to what is happening would be greatly appreciated.

grim_reaper 10-13-2019 02:51 AM

Have you checked both the engine bay fuse box & interior fuse box?