Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Center console lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Default Center console lights

Hi
Part of my center console lighting has failed (bottom left corner) can anyone talk me through removing the center console so I can replace what I suspect is a blown bulb.

Many Thanks

Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Default RE: Center console lights

Lads, can anyone help with this. Don't fancy going to a dealer and getting screwed....

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM

Are these the lights behind the shifter panel? If so.....

Pull straight up on the cupholder panel (one hand squeezing the narrow band at the edge of the e-brake handle, the other on the opposite side of the cupholder panel (don't pull on the lid), that should pop up the cupholder panel. You need to disengage a couple oftabs between the ashtray panel and the cupholder panel (using a key always worked for me.), once those are released, you should be able to pull the cupholder panel out.

Remove your shifter handle & place car in Neutral(spin counterclockwise, count the # of spins as you are removing it to get it back to the same spot.), rear edge of the panel should pull up and it should be able to slide up the shifter handle a little bit. Bulbs are at the bottom edge of the PRNDL bezel, one on each side. Just give the socket a 90 degree turn and you should be able to pop the bulb out.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 AM

He's right if they are the ones in the shifter indicator area... But if they are in the center panel where the radio controls and A/C controls are....you can still get to them..... However.....the bulbs are small and soldered in on the circuit panel. If you attempt to take out the center panel, be very careful and read the instructions. Mazda6club.com (Visual / Audio>In Car Electronics>Overlaod/Sylfex aux-in how-to., The alternative to FM or PIE.) has an excellent description with picson how to remove the center panel. DO NOT FOR GET ABOUT THE HIDDEN BOLT accessed thru the glove compartment area.... I did forget that one bolt, and ended up having to buy a new panel....$205 incld taxfrom the dealer...it was the only place I could find a panel at all.... I had to do some temp repairs on the circuit board to get things up and running again til I got the new one.... That's how I noticed that the panel bulbs were soldered in place on the board.... I don't know if they will even sell you the bulbs... If you don't have any luck getting the bulbs and you are fairly good at soldering, or know someone who is... I have my old panel still laying around. If you are really desperate in needing them... I can un-solder a couple andsend them to you... Lemme know. Good luck!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 AM

Thanks "watch my 6" it's actually the lighs behind the air controls, the middle one and one to the left turns the air flow up and down. Going to have a go at it this weekend. Thanks for your kind offer thou...