Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   Mazdaspeed 6 vs. Subaru Legacy GT (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/mazdaspeed-6-vs-subaru-legacy-gt-22961/)

njwrestler07 05-25-2010 11:39 PM

Mazdaspeed 6 vs. Subaru Legacy GT

So im stuck between these 2 cars, I know everyone here is going to tell me the mazda, but if anyone here wants to help me, please do. I like alot of things about both but I would get the mazda because it doesn't cost as much and is easier to find. Im just concerned with the awd system the mazda has. Subaru's awd system is unmatched but is the mazda's awd just as good or no? I feel that its not as good because its based off a fwd system. Anyone please help.

CKeffer 05-26-2010 09:38 AM

That depends on what you mean by better. IIRC the AWD system on the Legacy GT is a permanent 50/50 split full time, which in most scenarios is fine, but in performance driving setting leads to big time understeer. That said, the speed6's AWD system is front biased, though can shift to being a 50/50 split when the situation calls for it, this means that it can shift the handling characteristics of the car. But, if all you are doing is driving to and from work or out to dinner and such, then all this really means very little to you and you should go and test drive both and then just see which one is a better fit for you.

k 05-26-2010 12:45 PM

If AWD is a must, I will pick up legacy GT. If you live in Denver, Co, Subaru is a best right there.

I like speed6 because I live in CA and more dealers. My dealer also carry Subaru brand, It looked like more Subaru owners brought car for warranty repairing.

njwrestler07 05-26-2010 10:06 PM

I live in jersey, we maybe get 3-4 major snow storms a year, I want something that can handle great in snow but can also handle great on the road.

k 05-27-2010 01:08 AM

mazda speed6 snow review

This is a good review under snow condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddvbqTKNqbw

SERRAMAZDA 05-27-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by njwrestler07 (Post 107241)
So im stuck between these 2 cars, I know everyone here is going to tell me the mazda, but if anyone here wants to help me, please do. I like alot of things about both but I would get the mazda because it doesn't cost as much and is easier to find. Im just concerned with the awd system the mazda has. Subaru's awd system is unmatched but is the mazda's awd just as good or no? I feel that its not as good because its based off a fwd system. Anyone please help.

The mazdaspeed out performed all other cars equivalent to mazdaspeed 6 per mazdaspeed tech. He went to Road Atlanta for intro of vehicle. Drove BMW, Subaru, audi, and VW. AWD is not on all the time, only when its needed and then its only at 55%. Front/rear wheel torque varies between 100/0 and 50/50 through an electronic torque coupling mounted in front of the rear diff.
100/0 is only used when the hand brake is applied or at low speeds during tight turns (parking lot maneuvers)
Many AWD systems in FWD cars require front wheel slip (viscous couplings) before power is transferred to the rear, mazdaspeed6 has a strong rear wheel bias in most driving conditions.
Almost constant torque to the rear requires a water cooled transfer unit.
The transmission is one of the strongest ones on the market. Power to electromagnetic clutch : electromagnetic solenoid energized, pilot clutch applied : a slight difference in speed between the front and the rear wheels. When the electromagnetic coil is energized and the front wheels rotate at a different rate than the rear wheels, the ball separates the main cam and the pilot cam. This exerts force on the main clutch and torque is transmitted from the driveshaft to the rear differential. Also has a Tochigi-Fuji Limited Slip Differential (LSD).
L3T: 2.3L DISI, VVT, Turbo
Increased power 274 hp 280 ft-lb torque (approx with 93 octane fuel)
~ 9.5:1 compression ratio (non-turbo engines are 9.7:1)
~DISI direct injection spark ignition
~15.6 psi turbocharger boost
~VVT variable valve timing
So all in all yes it is a very good car. HOPE THIS HELPS

SERRAMAZDA 05-27-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by njwrestler07 (Post 107284)
i live in jersey, we maybe get 3-4 major snow storms a year, i want something that can handle great in snow but can also handle great on the road.

then mazda is your best bet

shipo 06-20-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dbmazda (Post 108126)
Engine wise The Mazda 6 has a 87.4 mm bore, 94 mm stroke .
The Subaru has a 99.5 mm bore, 79.0 mm stroke

An stroke engine always feels less stressed under power to me.
The Subaru engine is a strange beast! The Bore is bigger so there will be more bang per sec than the Stroker Mazda.
More bangs will be made per sec & the torque will be less because it lacks the down force of torque as the Mazda has.
the good thing is that if you mod an stroker engine you will get more torque
out of it than a bore flat Subaru engine.

The Subaru Power is 265hp @ 6,000 rpm Torque 258 lb-ft @ 2,000-5,200 rpm
The Mazda Power IS 274hp @ 5,500 rpm Torque 280 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm

The Mazda has 280 ft lb @ 3,000 that is that is good. It has more Torque
than the Subaru, add an intake mod & that Torque will go up.

I would say engine wise would be the Mazda, the more & lower the rpms you have the torque at the better / funner the car will be in real life!

"More bangs will be made per sec & the torque will be less because it lacks the down force of torque as the Mazda has."

You heard it here first folks; "more bangs per sec"... Yeesh!

dbmazda, please start doing a bit more research before you post such half-baked comments as this.

1GR8MS6 06-20-2010 10:19 PM

I've owned both - you'll be happy with either!

I had an MS6 up until yesterday when I traded it in for a Honda Pilot (family outgrowing the sedan). But my wife owned a Legacy GT before her latest, a Forester XT.

Both the MS6 and the LGT are great cars, and if you own either one, you'll probably be happy and not yearning for the other car.

However, here's my take on the differences:

MS6 Pros:
+ Creature comforts (GT has keyless system, power windows are all auto-up/down, etc.)
+ Engine (Torquey, quiet at idle, direct injection)
+ Quiet. Nearly silent on the road.
+ HIDs

MS6 Cons:
- Really narrow tires, and tough to go wider due to the suspension (wider is better for the twisties)
- Styling (clearly subjective, but the MS6 looks weird from some angles)
- Torque dies after 6k with 1.5k still to go
- I had 6 software updates to the engine controller in the first 6 months of ownership! It made me mad for a while...

LGT Pros:
+ Subaru reliability - it's real, trust me (250k+ miles on ours, collectively)
+ Boxer sound
+ Styling (see above)

LGT Cons:
- Suspension a bit soft
- No HIDs
- A lot noisier on the road than the MS6

I still think you can't go wrong!

1GR8MS6 06-20-2010 10:33 PM

One more thing.

Oh, and there was a comparison done by Motor Trend a few years ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

That was the LGT Spec B, but in general I think the comparison didn't really get affected by the $5k price bump of the Spec B features.