Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv-d timing chain issues (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/mazda-6-2-2-skyactiv-d-timing-chain-issues-45202/)

MQJ 08-11-2020 03:24 PM

Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv-d timing chain issues

Hi all, first time posting here. About a month ago, I purchased a 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv-d sport estate. I love this car. Love the way it drives and looks.
However, I have become aware about the timing chain issue that can be a problem and I have googled and googled and googled about this and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. Is my mazda prone to this problem? If yes what do I need to look out for?
Thanks in advance.

grim_reaper 08-12-2020 02:48 AM

I'm not aware of any timing chain issues. Apart from wear from poor / missed service intervals. They have camshaft issues, turbo issues, headgasket issues, oil contamination issues.

MQJ 08-12-2020 12:38 PM

Is it the diesels up to 2012 then maybe?

grim_reaper 08-12-2020 11:26 PM

Skyactiv engines weren't released until 2012.

Previous generation of diesel engines were the MZR-CD, these do have problems with stretched timing chains, normally because of lax, late, infrequent oil changes. First sign of trouble is trouble codes for Camshaft Crankshaft correlation error.

Does your chassis / vin number have a GH or GJ in it?

MQJ 08-13-2020 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 186399)
Skyactiv engines weren't released until 2012.

Previous generation of diesel engines were the MZR-CD, these do have problems with stretched timing chains, normally because of lax, late, infrequent oil changes. First sign of trouble is trouble codes for Camshaft Crankshaft correlation error.

Does your chassis / vin number have a GH or GJ in it?

It has a GJ in it.

grim_reaper 08-13-2020 06:48 AM

GJ Mazda 6 will be skyactiv.

The 2.2 SH skyactiv diesels have their fair share of reliability issues unfortunately. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

Fuel contamination into the engine oil, causing worn exhaust camshaft, worn turbos, and general accelerated engine component wear.( including blocking up the oil pick up & snapping oil pump drive chains )

The have a inherent issue with vacuum pumps failing along with head gaskets.

Mazda really dropped the ball with their design.

MQJ 08-13-2020 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 186414)
GJ Mazda 6 will be skyactiv.

The 2.2 SH skyactiv diesels have their fair share of reliability issues unfortunately. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

Fuel contamination into the engine oil, causing worn exhaust camshaft, worn turbos, and general accelerated engine component wear.( including blocking up the oil pick up & snapping oil pump drive chains )

The have a inherent issue with vacuum pumps failing along with head gaskets.

Mazda really dropped the ball with their design.

Thanks for the reply’s grim_reaper. Man I am so sorry I bought this car. Gonna get rid of it ASAP I think. It’s such a nice car and all but it sounds like a lot of trouble.

MQJ 08-14-2020 06:29 AM

I did a little more research grim_reaper, and according to this forum, the camshaft and turbo issues are not a problem on 2014 models?

grim_reaper 08-14-2020 06:56 AM

I can't confirm 2014, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still had issues.

MQJ 08-14-2020 07:16 AM

I just booked it into the local Mazda dealership for Monday. Spoke with the mechanic and he is going to check the camshaft for wear, the turbo and also for carbon build up etc.