Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   Just bought a 2006Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/just-bought-2006mazda6-2491/)

the_gray_mazda6 03-15-2006 03:19 PM

RE: Just bought a 2006Mazda6

a problem that a buddy of mine ran into was chipping a trans am. The car had 10k miles on it and when we chipped the car, the transmission literally just crippled itself and twisted up. Our assumption was that there was too much torque for the transmission and that has been confirmed on other forums that this problem does occur. Another buddy of mine had his AWD vehicle wheel to brake loose and become a "one-wheelie-peelie" (one tire torquing and the rest were dead).

These are just problems that have happened to others i know in the past and I'm not saying that this could happen to everyone (maybe it was just luck), but it has happened and I am just putting that information out there for everyone to hear.

MrTea 03-15-2006 03:43 PM

as far as the fender roll. if you put people in the back, or carry things it's a good precaution as the fender will hit the tire before bottoming out depending on offset. i think i've run a 42 and 48 offset on my wheels so far, and i took chunks out of my tires at bumps before the roll. i was looking for a pic, but it's pretty old, when i first got my Eibachs a couple years back, put 2 of my friends and i in the back seat and my girlfriend took a pick of the fender sitting on the tire, actually putting dimples into it.

again, it's just for precation...it's not fun worrying about bumps like that.

as far as chips, again, no worry on the 6 as they don't really exist. hit up Unichip in the washington/oregon area if you have a V6 and want a tune for it. but outside of that, the only people still playing with mazda is a company called Sniper Tuning who have had the ecu for 2 months now and say it's coming along well.

for the spoiler...does anyone think the factory spoiler has ANY purpose other than looks? i'd venture to say even on the track you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference. though i did hear one owner say if felt like the brakes grabbed better after the install??? if you like the look of it you can get a spoiler or a lip, but both are for looks not performance.

i forgot to mention....there's always the free "airbox mod" that you can do in the time being before the intake. it's an easy mod, free, sounds a lot better than stock....and if you close your eyes, has slight improvement on the buttdyno. seach mazda6club or mazda6tech for it if you want to try it.

JCosper6 03-16-2006 11:50 AM

Ive ran 12.20's in my T/A... it put 367 to the rear wheels. Ive sprayed a 125 shot ontop of that on the street with nittos. I run the stock 6speed. A chip didnt make the tranny go.

FYI- Mail order tunes or "chips".. are useless on those cars. GM tunes those cars close eneough from the factory that in order to pickup anything you will need to mod (so that something is even off to begin with) and then custom tune with ls1edit, hp tuners or a similar product. Ive seen Ls1s loose power from "chips". :-)

JCosper6 03-16-2006 11:51 AM

Thanks I may try that and a drop in K&N versus a CAI. Not really wanting to sink performance money into this considering its never going to do much.