Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Issue with door ajar indicator and interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Default Issue with door ajar indicator and interior lights

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 with a weird issue that seems to only happen in the spring/summer and in humidity. My door ajar light sometimes lights up when all of the doors are shut and the interior lights come on. It happens regardless of whether the keys are in it or not. The security indicator also illuminates at half brightness (attached photo), but shuts off when I turn the headlights on. And the brightness level of the door ajar light changes when I open any of the doors. I had to shut the overhead interior lights off so they don't come on when I'm driving, but the lights in the doors still come on, which can be very distracting when driving at night. Driving home tonight, every few seconds the door lights would turn on, dim out, turn back on, start to dim and flip back on, and so on. My keyless entry also quits working when this happens. Is this a known or common issue? Any idea on what I can check or try to replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I brought the car to a Mazda dealership for it once, but they were unable to figure it out since it wasn't doing it at the time.

Attached Thumbnails Issue with door ajar indicator and interior lights-img_20170426_213855.png  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to visit Mazda & get them to hook up their MMDS ( Mazda Module Diagnostic System) & they can identify the offending door lock actuator that's causing the issue.

Its a rare issue but not unheard of for the actuator ( door ajar switch built in) to play up.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 PM

Did you find out how to fix this issue? I have the same exact problem.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:28 AM

I did figure it out. It turned out the master power window switch in the driver's door must have had some water damage (see attached pictures). Bought a new one from this website, installed it, and the problem went away:
https://www.1aauto.com/products/i/1A...r+Confirmation

Before buying this, I would probably take your door panel off (driver's side first) and thoroughly inspect the switch for damage. The one pic I posted below shows damage from overheating/short-circuiting without even having to pull it apart to look at the circuit board. If that one checks out okay, I would check the other doors as well. It seems unrelated, since one has to do with the window controls and the issue I experience was with the door ajar light, but all of that connects to the Body Control Module. So a short-circuit on one system can affect other systems. Hope you figure out what's causing it!

Old 08-27-2021, 03:45 PM
Default Thank you!

Having the same issue with my wife’s 2013 Mazda2. It’s a great car so Thai will help keep it in tip top shape. Thank you!