Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   this had me scared (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/had-me-scared-8856/)

Oh6sixXx 06-12-2007 05:42 PM

this had me scared

i was leaving work today and i pulled out behind a co worker and we came up the the traffic light..he was making a right and i was going straight so we werent racing or ne thing...ne ways. i decided to show off a bit when the light went green and i got on it alittle and in mid 2nd grear pulling hard as hell my check engine light came on then started flashing!! i was like WTF! so i slowed up and pulled over. b4 i came to a complete stop the light went out and didnt come back on.ii shut it off and started it back uip, and didnt noticeany thing at all.the car didnt make any wierd sounds and continued to run like it always does smooth and quiet. what was that all about? do you think it could have been that i didnt really letthe engine fullywarm up b4 i jumped on it?the light didnt come on at all after that and ieased into the throttle a few times to see. this ever happen to any of you?

MAZDASPEED V6 06-12-2007 09:48 PM

RE: this had me scared

This happened to me too except i was in third and my light stays on and goes off occasionally...i have no idea though but your car is not the only one that does it

Stealth523 06-13-2007 07:40 PM

I believe it is because the engine detects detonation in the cylinders at high revs. nothing to worry about.

MAZDASPEED V6 06-13-2007 09:57 PM

okay thats good that it is nothing serious, thanks for the explanation

davidteachey 06-16-2007 04:33 PM

Oh6sixXx,

It is very likely high-rpm detonation that caused the Check Engine light to come on, but then immediately go out. Definitely DO let the engine come up to full operating temperature before doing any full-throttle-to-redline sprints. That is oneway tohelpextend the engine's life.

And though I get "ne ways", "WTF?",& "b4", please consider writing your questions/comments in plain English. This is not your cell phone...it's a very valuable forum that can-and-will help to save you some money over the course of your 6 ownership. If you've got something to ask or say, please do so in such a way that you're taken seriously. Cheers mate.

Back to your issue. There is no reason whyacceleration through the gears,each to redline, should hurt your car...just make sure it's upto full operating temperature before you do so.The high rpmcan actually help keep the engine clear of carbon deposits. Best regards,

David

Oh6sixXx 06-17-2007 11:20 AM

not a problem didnt meant to offend anyone.. im not about that at all. thanks.:)yeah as i said i always let me car warm up prior to driving it anywhere, but for some reason i only let it run for about a minute thanks for the help everyone, and again sorry about the "cell phone text" abreviations, sometimes its just easier.

davidteachey 06-18-2007 07:06 AM

That's cool, Oh6...feel free to post anytime. Regarding your issue: One minute of warmup is certaily fine for taking off and doing gentle driving. But only redline it once up to full operating temp (which will only be a few minutes later). Cheers,

David