Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   DPF light | Motor light | Abs light (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/dpf-light-%7C-motor-light-%7C-abs-light-32792/)

Zilch 12-25-2013 03:25 PM

DPF light | Motor light | Abs light

Hello!

I buy a mazda 6 kombi! 2.0 143ps!

Well in the day i buy it when i come home the dpf light start flashing, i call the man and he said he only change the oil ( correct oil )

Then i go again to stand and the motor light and abs light turn on! He can't make anything there, he said we need to go to mazda, but im afraid to drive the car until there.

I read a lot about that and i want to know if the reset of service is enough. what do you think?

Thank you.

ronniej 01-01-2014 07:43 AM

I was most interested in this post as I am having exactly the same experience.
I have owned my Mazda 6 sport diesel from new (Dec 2007) It has now done 100000 miles so it is used quite hard which should keep the DPF from blocking.
The DPF light began flashing last week but when I switched off to refuel the light was off when I restarted it.
I had a long trip to do later in the week and the light began flashing on my return journey. After a while the engine and ABS light also came on.
The engine is running Ok and it has not gone into "limp mode".
I changed the engine oil and filter myself about 3000 miles back and I took care to use an oil that complied with the spec in the handbook.
I am surprised and concerned about how much the oil level has risen on the dipstick. It is not yet at the "X" mark but it is now well above the "High" mark. If this is unburnt diesel in the sump surely the oil quality must be impaired?
I understand the DPF light can also come on as a service reminder if it is not reset when the oil is changed. Could it be that this is my problem?
If so, why are the other lights coming on?
I see there is a process for resetting the DPF light by earthing a contact within the fuse box. If I do this and the lights go off how can I be sure that I have solved the problem and there is not some other problem developing?

R Johnston, Scotland

UseYourNoggin 01-01-2014 08:00 AM

The only thing i can say is that dpf don't last forever. This comment may not be your particular case, but here is my opinion of the dpf.
They get clogged, especially with driving short trips.
If you drive mainly short trips, a diesel may not be the type of car for you.

http://markenperformance.com/files/U...erformance.jpg

ronniej 01-02-2014 04:13 AM

Thank you for the prompt response. From what I have been able to glean from the internet it sounds like DPFs can be a problem in ANY diesel car. However, I would have thought that the miles I cover (100K in 6 years)would have tended to keep it clear.
I have to say that in all other respects the car has been very satisfactory and this is the reason I have kept it for so long. Have you any thoughts on the diesel in the oil issue? Surely this cannot be good for the engine?
The forum is a great resource, it is reassuring to know I can share my problems with others, thank you very much.

Ronnie Johnston, Scotland.

UseYourNoggin 01-02-2014 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ronniej (Post 143174)
Thank you for the prompt response. From what I have been able to glean from the internet it sounds like DPFs can be a problem in ANY diesel car. However, I would have thought that the miles I cover (100K in 6 years)would have tended to keep it clear.
I have to say that in all other respects the car has been very satisfactory and this is the reason I have kept it for so long. Have you any thoughts on the diesel in the oil issue? Surely this cannot be good for the engine?
The forum is a great resource, it is reassuring to know I can share my problems with others, thank you very much.

Ronnie Johnston, Scotland.

This is an excellent read, it's not a Mazda, but it's a diesel.
Diesel in engine oil ?? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

ronniej 01-03-2014 03:33 AM

Thanks for the link, it made most interesting reading.
The shop I usually use is closed for the New Year holiday. (We take New Year quite seriously in Scotland). The car is running OK and the oil level has not reached the "X" mark on the dipstick. I need to use the car but I am only driving as far as I absolutely have to right now.
I will put a post on when I have had it checked. Meantime, best wishes from a wet and windy Scotland.
Ronnie J

ronniej 01-11-2014 02:56 AM

I promised an update on my DPF problems with my Mazda 6.
I took it to a shop operated by two competent mechanics.
The connected it to the diagnostic computer and tried to force a DPF re-gen through this. They tried twice but the filter was so badly choked this process would not work.
They removed the unit and cleaned it physically.
Not only did this clear the flashing light but the car is running much better than it has done for a long time.
I suspect the choked filter has been affecting performance over recent months but this has come on so gradually I did not notice it.
At the moment total removal of the DPF filter will not affect the MoT test (Annual roadworthiness check) here in Britain. However, with effect from next month (Feb 14 ) it will. Cars that were never fitted with a DPF are unaffected but if a DPF was fitted as original equipment the car will fail if it has been removed.
I don't know what the regulations are Stateside but I suspect a similar rule will come into force if it is not already in place.

Best wishes from Scotland.

Ronnie J

kams26 01-18-2014 11:16 AM

can anybody give me some help with the dpf light it sames to be a service light but looking for some way to put it off ??? help please

ronniej 01-19-2014 04:44 AM

The DPF light can come on as a service reminder.
this would be re-set if the car was serviced by the main dealer but may not have been done if a non-franchised garage did the work.
If the light has come on for this reason it can be re-set using the process described in several U-tube videos.
Just Google "Mazda 6 DPF light " and you will get it.
Don't forget that the light may have come on because of a problem with the DPF itself.
If that is the case there is already a lot of info in the forum.

spennet 01-28-2014 11:50 AM

had my Mazda 6 for 6 weeks and its been to the garage 6 times. dpf light comes on all the time every 3 days or about 30 miles dispute several regents a new dpf , oil change, service reset, new dpf sensor . a long run will reset the light but within a day or 2 back it comes. I do 30 motorway miles 4 days a week then the rest of the week just around town is short journeys. Mazda say this is normal but I can't see it myself. I know loads of people who do the same kind of distance as me in cars fitted with a dpf and have never experienced a problem. Is this normal for a Mazda 6