Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2012 Mazda 6 brakes soft then hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Question 2012 Mazda 6 brakes soft then hard

Hi,

I just bought a 2012 Mazda 6. The brakes feel soft for the first half of the travel, then hard for the rest. It takes greater pressure to stop the car. After a week's drive, I'm kind of used to it. Is this the way it is or something wrong?

It's the first time I drive a mazda. Used to have a 2004 elantra, whose brakes are very responsive, easy to stop.

Is it because mazda 6 is heavier?

Thanks!

--
Carl

Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by chcdmj
Hi,

I just bought a 2012 Mazda 6. The brakes feel soft for the first half of the travel, then hard for the rest. It takes greater pressure to stop the car. After a week's drive, I'm kind of used to it. Is this the way it is or something wrong?

It's the first time I drive a mazda. Used to have a 2004 elantra, whose brakes are very responsive, easy to stop.

Is it because mazda 6 is heavier?

Thanks!

--
Carl
I felt the same way about the 2014 Mazda 6 brakes. I am used to firm brakes also. I think the problem is that Mazda 6 brake is, at best, mediocre. I have been searching for bigger brake rotors since January 2014. Nobody is selling bigger rotors now. There are some replacement out there but they are the same size rotors with drilled and slotted features and, to me, that's a waste of money.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I felt the same way about the 2014 Mazda 6 brakes. I am used to firm brakes also. I think the problem is that Mazda 6 brake is, at best, mediocre. I have been searching for bigger brake rotors since January 2014. Nobody is selling bigger rotors now. There are some replacement out there but they are the same size rotors with drilled and slotted features and, to me, that's a waste of money.
I Agree somewhat.
I have had cross-drilled rotors on my car for 3 years and they worked good at beginning, but they didn't work good in winter. I believe they are meant for hi speed braking and track use. They need to be warmed up first to get most benefit from. My next brakes will be flat rotors with some good pads, like from EBC--they have some different choices.

Can be purchased from: Performance Parts & Accessories - Domestic Canadian Shipping - Marken Performance & Restoration input your vehicle at top then pick your options.

Automotive Brakes Selector
Driving Style Best Pads Best Rotors
Normal urban driving, school-run or commuter on car, truck or SUV. Ultimax UPR Series
Spirited street use on sport compact or import sedan (Hot Hatch). Greenstuff UPR Series
Faster street use on muscle cars (slight rotor wind noise acceptable). Redstuff GD Series
Low dust street use on prestige imports (silent braking required). Redstuff UPR Series
Fastest street and track use, trackday, time trials and drifting in any size or weight of car (on or off road).For longer races Bluestuffmay be required for durability purposes. Yellowstuff UPR Series
High durability race pad also suitable for street driving. Bluestuff NDX Formula
Truck, 4x4 and SUV modest brake upgrade. Greenstuff 6000 Series GD Series

EBC Ultimax Brake Pad: Ultimax2

EBC Greenstuff brake pad: Greenstuff Brake Pads

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.