Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Black Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Default Black Emblems

I just replaced my rear emblems with gloss black from StreetUnit.com. Since they don't yet have emblems for the new 2018 6, I ordered the ones for the 2017- models. The one difference is that the center "M" emblem is slightly larger than the 2018 version and the mounting pins/holes don't match. Nevertheless, my experience with emblems is that if your going for gloss black, self-painting seldom measures up to those made from gloss black plastic originally.

To overcome the fit issue, I clipped the pins from the new M emblem and mounted it with 3M outdoor/extreme mounting tape (this stuff has never failed me, including mounting heavy HID ballasts inside an engine compartment). It's only slightly larger than the orginal M, so it fits nicely into the trunk lid indentation. The MAZDA6 emblem is the same size as the original silver. I also removed the SKYACTIV badge.

The one unexpected problem is that when removing the trunk lid inner liner to remove the "M", most of the (14) mounting pins broke. Maybe there's a way to avoid this, but even if they hadn't broken, many would have been deformed and not reusable. I bought a complete new set from realmazdaparts.com.

Here's a pic:
Name:  5MZcnus.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  763.5 KB

Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM

Looks good.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:08 PM

How did you fill in the holes when removing the skyactive badge? I wanted to remove that badge from my CX5 but it has the stupid pins that lock into the little holes.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:59 AM

The SkyActiv badge on the Mazda 6 had no holes. Adhesive only.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Looks very nice!
One thing I never noticed is the 2 towing eyes covers on the rear, I've just gone outside to check 😂
Looks really clean on the back end, I'm going to set to work this weekend and start on mine.
Your 6 seems much wider now, which I like 👍
I'm also going to do a chrome delete on the back but I'd like it to look more like the light cluster, I was thinking of using a smoked vinyl over the chrome and see how that works, I'd love to see what others have done, my car is sonic silver and I've only seen gloss black so far.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JWBoulder
I just replaced my rear emblems with gloss black from StreetUnit.com. Since they don't yet have emblems for the new 2018 6, I ordered the ones for the 2017- models. The one difference is that the center "M" emblem is slightly larger than the 2018 version and the mounting pins/holes don't match. Nevertheless, my experience with emblems is that if your going for gloss black, self-painting seldom measures up to those made from gloss black plastic originally.

To overcome the fit issue, I clipped the pins from the new M emblem and mounted it with 3M outdoor/extreme mounting tape (this stuff has never failed me, including mounting heavy HID ballasts inside an engine compartment). It's only slightly larger than the orginal M, so it fits nicely into the trunk lid indentation. The MAZDA6 emblem is the same size as the original silver. I also removed the SKYACTIV badge.

The one unexpected problem is that when removing the trunk lid inner liner to remove the "M", most of the (14) mounting pins broke. Maybe there's a way to avoid this, but even if they hadn't broken, many would have been deformed and not reusable. I bought a complete new set from realmazdaparts.com.

Here's a pic:
Black Emblems-5mzcnus.jpg
I joined because I want to do what you did in my 2018 6 GTR. Where did you get the fully lettered Mazda6 black emblem? I already have the center emblem on the way to me, but I want the lettered emblem to match.