Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2005 Mazda 6i Engine Stutter & Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Default 2005 Mazda 6 Engine Stutter & Hesitation

Mazda fam…

I have 2005 Mazda 6 3.0L and I have hesitation & stuttering issues with the engine. The car has 135k been a good ride with NO issues until now. I have diligently searched the board for owners with similar issues & have found threads and read…but I still need a little help please.

History Issues

>> When driving and I give it slight gas the engine stutters/hesitates. It can happen in 6th gear as well as all gears…but I first noticed it between 4-6th gear early on

>> It now happens in all gears. I can be at a stoplight in 1st gear and pull off it can hesitate & stutter

>> Currently now when I go garage, crank car and while foot on break and put in reverse…the engine stutters & hesitates AT A STAND STILL will in same spot. Almost to the point where you think the car could cut off but you know it is not

>> Seemed to begin when the car was hot but now does not matter if cold or hot same issue anytime

What I have done:

>> May/2012 @ 124,500 changed spark plugs for the first time. Did not need too had no problems…there was no misfire, no issues at all just felt it was a good time to change them. Removed the original plug, MOTORCRAFTS. Replaced with Bosch Platinum Fusion (following a Youtube video). Also replaced the intake gaskets.

>> Went months WITHOUT any off the issues about until around Thx’ing & Xmas

>> Last week 3/2013 changed them again. I assumed maybe I have a spark plug issue and replaced back with the OEM Motorcraft AGSF22WM. I called the Mazda dealer and he said before looking up no Mazda used those plugs told him that is what I took out car…was bought new…he said NGK what Mazda uses. After he looked he did see the Motorcraft number I listed above for my car (maybe I should have called around but we only have one Mazda dealer here). I did have to gap these plugs and I was told a gap space of .044 for the Motorcrafts

>> Regardless, I still have the EXACT same issue with both plugs no change at all!

>> No check engine lights nor any codes stored when I check it for any registered codes

>> Someone told me vacuum leak so I attempted to spray throttle body cleaner spray all around the intake & hoses while car was running to see if it idle changed…no changes but I am no pro at this either

I need help…this is wife car and she is killing me and I do not want to take this to the dealer…especially without not knowing what the issue is. I have read O2 sensors, CP-E (whatever that is…I have no idea what that means), and a few other things search.

Advice please…

Last edited by parcou; 04-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Double up on injector cleaner in tank.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Ever change the PCV valve, Mazda never does. PCV valve not easy to get at on 4 cyl, so change the hose as well.
Clean EGR valve?
Mind as well clean MAF and throttle body as well.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Ever change the PCV valve, Mazda never does. PCV valve not easy to get at on 4 cyl, so change the hose as well.
Clean EGR valve?
Mind as well clean MAF and throttle body as well.
PCV...no never have I will do some looking know off hand where located on v6?

I have cleaned the MAF before and will do again....the EGR valve is a new one to me...by chance know the location of it as well on v6?

I will search as well but was just asking also

Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Banned

Look at my pics: Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums - UseYourNoggin's Album: Intake Plenum & PCV Valve. 2006 Mazda 6 V6 3.0 ltr.
PCV is near the back, just to right by EGR valve but lower.

a 6i = 4 cyl, a 6s = 6 cyl. Know this when searching for parts.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Look at my pics: Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums - UseYourNoggin's Album: Intake Plenum & PCV Valve. 2006 Mazda 6 V6 3.0 ltr.
PCV is near the back, just to right by EGR valve but lower.

a 6i = 4 cyl, a 6s = 6 cyl. Know this when searching for parts.
Really...my 6i is a v6 3.0L I thought it was the same as the 6s....engine has 6 plugs and labeled 3.0...

So that still means a 6i = 4cyl...just asking

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

I want you to go to this site and input your car. At submodel you will need to choose "i" or "s". Choose i and your engine size won't be there. Go back and choose "s" now you will see!
Auto Parts in Canada! - Canada Auto Parts Online

Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Thx...you are right glad to know now...

You did not list coils but I have read other places these cars have bad coils and can go back...problem I have no way to check and those who had a bad one no CEL came on.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=parcou;136870]Thx...you are right glad to know now...

You did not list coils but I have read other places these cars have bad coils and can go back...problem I have no way to check and those who had a bad one no CEL came on.[/QUOTE]

Coils are expensive from Mazda Dealer, buy them somewhere else. I see you have 135,000 on it. If no cel, coils may be fine but may be weak. It is a good idea to change them with that mileage.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM

I want you to go to this site and input your car. At submodel you will need to choose "i" or "s". Choose i and your engine size won't be there. Go back and choose "s" now you will see!
Auto Parts in Canada! - Canada Auto Parts Online
I think I am going to try replacing the coils but they are expensive...the local shops want about $65 each... I found a deal on eBay for $62 for all six and the poster says it cross-reference to Mazda part number UF406

Would you trust these...

02 07 Ford Mazda 6 New Set of 6 Ignition Coil on Plug Coils Pack 3 0L V6 DG513 | eBay

Quick Reply: 2005 Mazda 6i Engine Stutter & Hesitation