Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   2.3 balance shaft delete kit hard to install? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/2-3-balance-shaft-delete-kit-hard-install-8328/)

adam3250 05-14-2007 08:46 PM

2.3 balance shaft delete kit hard to install?

I just bought the balance shaft delete kitfor my 2.3 liter mazda 6 and was wondering how hard it was to install and if theres anything else i should know about it . Now i have put in my cold air intake among other things so i have mechanical knowledge. Just wondering your guys opinion and does it make a big difference?

MrTea 05-14-2007 11:32 PM

RE: 2.3 balance shaft delete kit hard to install?

i did it a couple years ago and it wasn't too bad. just make sure you use a larger wrench of breaker bar to remove the 4 bolts on the BS. they are a bitch to get off. outside of that, sealing thepan is the hardest part i'd say. have a friend or spare jack handy as well, it's pretty heavy. and the extra quart of oil for the refill too.

rx4to6 05-14-2007 11:49 PM

Just wonder what a balance shaft delete kit is and what does it do?

adam3250 05-15-2007 10:51 AM

Did it make a difference? What i dont get is how does this not affect the car in a bad way since your taking out such a heavy peice and deleting it. Last question is this safe for a daily driver 6?

MrTea 05-15-2007 12:24 PM

so you purchased this piece.... 1)not knowing if it makes any difference? 2)not knowing if it was bad for the car? 3)if you were going to be ok to drive the car daily?

i don't understand, might wanna do some searching on it before going any further with modding the car

adam3250 05-15-2007 12:51 PM

Well Mr. Tea let me help you understand,i figured since it was coming from a reputible company it was gonna be fine either way. I just figured i throw up hereon the forumsand get a peice of mind and ask the people who already had it what it was like . And for your information i have done searches and theres not much information for it . I guess i could have called cosworth and asked for the main details but I figured id ask people who already had it andask from there experience < isnt that whytheres a forum dedicated to this car). Its only a $40 piece not like i blew my piggy bank on it.

MrTea 05-15-2007 12:59 PM

sorry, i'll let the others comment then, my bad

adam3250 05-15-2007 01:29 PM

Nobig deal i understand your point cause that would be stupid . And i was hoping you would be the one to have good input since your car is pretty suped up and i figured you had it already. The only main question is this ok for a daily driver? and if not than i can wait to put it on when i get a second car in the winter.

sstlaure 05-15-2007 01:36 PM

I understand the purpose of the balance shaft delete (other than reducing reciprocating mass in the engine.), but we put those balance shafts in the engine for a reason. I have to think they would reduce the reliability of the engine as it would now see higher vibration loads applied to the engine and it's components.

I can't see it making any earth-shattering differences (or any difference via butt-dyno)

Just my .02

MrTea 05-15-2007 07:55 PM

just an fyi, the duratec in the ford ranger does not have a balance shaft....though everythign else is the same. it is for NVH and nothing else.