Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   05 intermittent limp on and charge light (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/05-intermittent-limp-charge-light-40572/)

Ronbetts 09-13-2018 10:32 PM

05 intermittent limp on and charge light

My 05 Mazda 6 with 4cyinder is driving me crazy. It will go into limp in mode and the charge light comes on when accelerating. I have seen lots of complaints on other forums but no one seems to have an answer I’m a retired mechanic of 45 years so I do know my way around a car. It will sometimes indicate a code but I have yet to catch it. It will return to normal when I came to a stop and will be fine for a while. I have checked and cleaned all the grounds as I was told that was the fix. Nope still does it I have talked to several transmission shop owners that I know and they all say the same thing. Change solenoids, fluid and complete transmissions and got bit on the ass when the car was doing the same thing as before the repairs. All of them ended up changing the trans ECM and all but one said it took care of the problem. That one guy that still has the problem leads me to think it’s more than just the ECM. Any thoughts?

grim_reaper 09-14-2018 05:54 AM

The various computers will do funny things when the voltage gets too low.

The alternator is controlled by the PCM/ECU.

If the alternator &/or charging system is playing up, it should log codes, even if the engine light isn't illuminated.

Ronbetts 09-14-2018 09:31 PM

Charge light limp in

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 169924)
The various computers will do funny things when the voltage gets too low.

The alternator is controlled by the PCM/ECU.

If the alternator &/or charging system is playing up, it should log codes, even if the engine light isn't illuminated.

I have driven the car with a volt meter connected at the battery. When it goes into limp in and the charge light comes on the voltage is 131/2 to 14 volts. The check engine light comes in sometimes when this occurs. I check for codes and nothing. I was beginning to think I had a freak problem but I have read about this same complaint on other forums. I have yet to read a response or answer.

grim_reaper 09-14-2018 11:01 PM

What are you using for code testing?

RTL990 10-02-2018 04:25 PM

Have been using the exact required tranny fluid in your 05? I have a 2005 Mazda 3 S and have replaced much of the original tranny fluid with Castrol Transmax Import which is close but not exact. It could be that the tranny viscosity varies enough to cause slight warm up issues but not necessarily hurt the transmission. That's one theory or conjecture. Next time I'm going to swap out with Mazda M-V fluid or maybe Pennzoil Multi synthetic. By warm up I mean mere start up on a hot day. In cold weather warm up takes twice as long. Typically, I get a slipping and AT Light if I take off without a warm up. I leave it in neutral for 1 minute helps or leave it in P for 5 mins. to warm