Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by ggsumo
I have some Maxxis M36 tyres on the front of my sport - they have only worn down by about 2mm in 9K miles. The trouble is they are getting downright dangerous in the wet to the extent that you wonder if you will actually manage to turn the corner.

Gonna have to stick them on the back i think
thats why i'm not that sure what to stick on mine, to hard or to soft a compound, is there a post of what tyres 5 owners are sticking on there cars?
i have been reading through some of the pages but not all 80 odd mind you, was there not a fix by Mazda? probably not!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Got the Bravaruis 2s on mine.
Wasn't impressed from the off, and still not impressed.

Seem to have a wear on the outer edge, slightly more than normal. Not an issue, just seem to be a design flaw.

The inner edge wear has gone, but not had a good rummage in that area to see if it's hiding from me. But as I said after the Mazda 4 wheel alignment, the tyres have a squarer shoulder, so not sure if it's a tyre or alignment that has fixed inner wear. Done about 10K on them, and fronts have about 2 k left, not impressed, but I find the grip not particularly good or the noise. I would only give them 6/10 as a tyre, but I have had worse. Prefered the Falkens, but if there really is no tyre wear now, I will spend the money on some better/bigger brand tyres.

I keep my front pressures at 36.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by coney
Got the Bravaruis 2s on mine.
Wasn't impressed from the off, and still not impressed.

Seem to have a wear on the outer edge, slightly more than normal. Not an issue, just seem to be a design flaw.

The inner edge wear has gone, but not had a good rummage in that area to see if it's hiding from me. But as I said after the Mazda 4 wheel alignment, the tyres have a squarer shoulder, so not sure if it's a tyre or alignment that has fixed inner wear. Done about 10K on them, and fronts have about 2 k left, not impressed, but I find the grip not particularly good or the noise. I would only give them 6/10 as a tyre, but I have had worse. Prefered the Falkens, but if there really is no tyre wear now, I will spend the money on some better/bigger brand tyres.

I keep my front pressures at 36.
That's what I'm finding difficult to decide on what to get, especially if they don't last long don't see much point in sticking expensive tyres on, but on the other hand to cheap will be dodgy if rain etc , can't win lol....

Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM

That's why my preferred choice was Falken 452
Still have a bit of noise, but they grip well enough for my liking, were good enough for a 240 bhp FWD car, so I used them on the 5.
I may revert back to them just to ensure my tyre woes are over, before I spend £120+ on a tyre.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up

OK will give the falkens a try then instead thanks.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Not sure how long the Bravius 2s lasted. Got a puncture in the sidewall in one, at not very old, then replaced that with like.
Think it has been about 20 months, so probably around the 12-15K region. The car doesn't get used every day.
The problem? despite keeping the front pressures at 38 psi, and mazda doing an optiflex, both edges had worn on both fronts, and I still had about 3mm in the middle. One of the cords was showing on the outside edge at closer inspection. Really odd on a post 2008 car.
Now gone back to Falkens, the 453s on the front, so I may get some idea if I still have an issue as I did pre mazda setup.

Hoping the tyre is the problem though, as it would mean Mazda have made the problem worse if both sides of the tyre have worn. That is only ever associated with low pressures. There was no grip at 38psi, but will try 40+ and see how it feels.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Default just got 22,000 miles out of budget tyres

I've had my Mazda 5 sport from new since 2009, and I was having dreadful inner edge tyre wear on the fronts - needing to replace the tyres every 10,000 miles - I tried expensive alignments (getting the same settings as other posters who said they'd fixed the problem through an alignment), higher inflation levels and different tyres, but nothing seemed to make much difference. Two years ago I put a budget brand tyre called LingLongs on the front (they cost about £55 each), and they've lasted 20k miles with no excessive wear on the inner edges. I didn't have any alignment done when I put these tyres on, nothing else changed, so it looks like these tyres have solved the problem - however I have another theory:

4 years ago this thread was very busy with furious people writing about this inner-edge tyre wear problem, but in the last couple of years this thread has been much quieter, and I think I've only seen one second-hand buyer complaining about this problem - I would expect to see more angry messages from second-hand buyers who'd bought the Mazda 5's that others on here said they were selling because of this problem.

So my theory is that the camber on the front wheels 'settles' over time, and puts less weight on the inner edge. All the different solutions people have found on this thread, the one common thing is that all their cars have got older.

Of course my theory could easily be disproven if my new tyres (I couldn't get LingLongs again, I had to go with another brand called Infinity that I did have this inner-wear problem with before) show wear on the inner-edge. I'll be keeping a close eye on them and will update this thread.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

been reading all this. a good front end alignment takes time and effort. camber can be adjusted, to a point, by removing the front struts and rotating them (on some cars). that is labor intensive and most shops just wont do it. what i do is go to a shop and tell them( not ask) to give me the print out of the front end condition as found, and the printout when done. when they tell me about the camber thing i ask (if less than 1 degree):did you move the front struts? then do it. i contracted your services to do a job and this is not free. do what you have to do and i will be here waiting. that crap about getting eccentric bolts just does not cut it with me. your best defence is information. read about the front end alignment and demand them to do it right. by the way, i mark the position of the front struts with white ink. and take a picture. last time they told me they rotated the struts i opened the hood and showed them the marks, untouched and the picture. they dont love me, but they dont have to. i got the car properly done. sure they made me wait a long time, but i was ready for that. i can be stubborn when i want.

Last edited by Juanky; 12-28-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by coney
That's why my preferred choice was Falken 452
Still have a bit of noise, but they grip well enough for my liking, were good enough for a 240 bhp FWD car, so I used them on the 5.
I may revert back to them just to ensure my tyre woes are over, before I spend £120+ on a tyre.

I love the 452's and have had 2 sets on my Ford Cougar but the reviews are very mixed since they replaced them with 453's and stuck the priceup by 25%.

I've got winter tyres on the front at the moment but will probably got to Sailun's ZS+ for the Summer as these seem to get good write ups for a budget tyre

Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 AM

Well, thought I would do an update, as there are very few replies now.
Mazda were the last ones to touch the suspension, they had a massive job they thought would be 5 mins, but clearly was way out, as I was still there an hour after closing.
The bravarius 2s they installed are long gone, due to various reasons, and Falkens 452 replaced them, and are near there end.
I have no exact clue of the mileage, but actually done more miles this year than most, and I estimate about another 2-3 k left in them, but they will be changed early as driving abroad in August. So somewhere about 15-18k miles from them is much much better than anything yet. Backs have 20 on and are about 2/3rd worn.

The good news is the inner edges are fine. yes, if I was picky there is a slight sign of rubbing/cutting, but nothing dangerous and negligible at most.
I'm positive that running at recommended pressures would increase inner wear, but as long as I keep the pressures over that, all seem fine.

Finally going to gamble on some premium price tyres.

As for the theory as to why this thread went quite, I would say a few fixed the problem, but I'm sure most 5s are hanging around dealers, unsold now, especially at the 6 year mark, when they get hit with the £1500 for the service I've just been quoted!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5