Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

Sorry to hear you are still suffering this tyre wear curse. I'm afraid my input is more supportive than useful though, we do so few miles now that we can't get anything meaningful in the way of data, but the current tyres (Hankook Ventus xl) seem to be wearing quite well.
What tyres have you been using, out of interest?

Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Just got back from the dealers and apparently its due to my tracking being out of sink (as my hubby clipped the kerb with it a while ago!! )
so they wont do anything. I have the dunlop tyres on it but still not happy!!!!
Have another problem with it now! whilst i was checking the tyres on the car I noticed a blip in the alloy on my back wheel, looked like a little bubble so checked the rest of them and in the centre of the alloy where the mazda logoed cap is the silver is bubbling up and starting to come away!!! Pointed this out to the dealer and they have agreed to change the alloys for me as they said it must be a manufacturing fault. So just want you to check all of your alloys for slight little blips on them. Maybe its just mine i dont know but i think i have the bad batch of the 5 hahahah

I have photos of the alloys with the blips on but cant up load them(email me i will send you the photos) so check out your alloys Madza are puting a complete new set of alloys on for me FREE WOOOHOOOO SOMETHING FOR FREE

Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Hiya Maz05da

Which dealership did u go to?

I have bubbles on my 5`s alloys too

Im still waiting for the results from Wolverhampton Mazda from the tyre wear check that was carried out in Nov 07.

thanx

Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 AM

Hello I went to my local dealership which is in grimsby. Although they still saying its a tracking problem with my tyres which im not happy about.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 AM

Found this site on a google search, great came up on first page near the top !!!
As you can guess im another customer with the dreaded tyreproblem!
Made contact with my local Mazda dealer (my car is a lease car came from dealer up north somewhere ) on tuesday, pictures taken and tyres measurements taken. 12,000 miles and they agree that wheel alignement is a problem but they were told it was cars older than 2007. Mine was made in january 2007 !!
I was told that it would be 48 hrs + beforeMMUK would be in contact. Checked car on Friday evening noticed cord showing on one of the tyres.Phoned in on monday morning and the dealer was still waiting for response from MMUK.
I asked to speak with the dealers customer reslutions manager and he phoned me back within 15 min. Not good news .
Front tyres :::will not be covered under warantee ( alignement ) unless the alignement is stillset correctly and has not been knocked out !
Rear tyres ::: these will be covered but they will only contribute 50% of the cost !
So new Goodyear tyres set of 4 £405.39.

I spoke with my lease company they told me to speak with MMUK and ask them to sort out, now the car is going to be picked up by Mazda assisance and a hire car delivered which is covered for 2 days. If my complaint has not been answer by MMUK then the dealer has to request for the hire car to be extended untillMMUK have responded.

Conclusion.. I cant belive the red tape and cost involved in this !

Iwill repost soon.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Colin, are your worn tyres Dunlops?

I'm now convinced that all my problems were due to the Dunlop tyres. I had a full 4-wheel alignment check when the front tyres were wrecked (at 12K like yours) and again when the rear tyres were wrecked (at 25,000) and both alignment checks proved the wheel alignment was spot on. Changing the tyres to Bridgestones seems to have stopped the uneven wear without moving the wheel alignment at all.

My advice would be to get the 4-wheel alignment check carried out yourself, making sure you get "before" and "after" printouts, and if the alignment is within spec get the dealer to admit that the supplied tyres were faulty. There's enough cases already so they know exactly what's going on. Oh and once they admit to the fault, claim back the price of the alignment checks too (something I forgot to do - Doh!)

Oh, I've just re-read your post - I think your car may already be out of your hands. Sorry to have suggested something you can't do! Anyway, I'm betting your front wheels will prove to be in spec, as mine were, and Mazda did contribute 41% towards my front tyres at 12,000 miles as a result. My thoughts were that 59% wear on front tyres at 12K was just about right, so I was quite happy with their decision.

Right, I'll stop rambling on. Let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 AM

Hi Folks, Its been a while since I last posted. I took delivery of my Mazda 5 2.0D sport 1st September last year and I have just completed 13.5 K on the 2050 dunlops fitted. I am happy to report that the tyres have all worn evenly and that fronts are 50% of thread depth and rears are about 60 to 70% so I expect to change the fronts at about 22 to 25K. It would seem that the chassis mod done on all 5 sports in Jan 07 (mine was a June 07 build) has done the trick. I guess from the posts that 5 sports made pre Jan 07 do not have a quick mod fix and that Mazda are fudging the issue by re-aligning the suspension to get a 'reasonable' tyre life and get out of the warranty period.

Just had a recall on the no.4 engine mount apparently its comes loose on excessive accelleration loads. Shame my local dealer has not heard of the recall ! Still apart from that I have no regrets its a great car.. just wish it was giving me the fuel economy promised by the computer! (55mpg) still happy with the actual 43 to 45 mpg

Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi Dave

Yes all 4 tyres are DUNLOP !!
Car is still at garage.
I cant understand that if they are putting the blame on DUNLOP then dunlop should be reinbursing Mazda and then onto the customer.
lets wait and see..

Colin

Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 AM

Update... Picked car up from dealer today, thier findings were rear out by 2deg front out by 0.015deg ( so spot on )
Goodyear tyres put on all 4.
Im still waiting to here back from MMUK.
I shall be sending a bill into dealer for my time, fuel etc. also have requested a stratagy to be ongoing with regards for check up of tyres and alignement as ive still got 2 years left on the lease ! andI dont want to go all through again.
The dealer did say that in the handbook it mentions about swaping front to back wheels and tyres every 6,000 miles.
lets see what happens.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Hi folks, as one of the original complainants about the tyre wear problem, I can assure you that the fault does not have anything to do with Dunlop, who incidentally make Goodyear tyres also. (Goodyear Dunlop Ltd) I spoke at length with a chap from Dunlop, who was very helpful, and was keen for MMUK to put in writing their blame. I dare say MMUK's lawyers advised against this, so it is all down to hearsay!
Don't be fobbed off with Dunlop making a new spec tyre especially for Mazda 5's. Peter from Dunlop said that was rubbish!
MMUK have made the fix, it is now down to dealers to do it. Why they could not simply do a full recall and save all the heartache????????? I do not know!
Keep on top of your dealer, and don't give in.....

I gave my dealer this and several other web addresses so they were fully aware of not only my activity on the matter, but how the problem was more than the odd one they tried to claim in the first instance...

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5