Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Struts for the Mazda5 ... Suggestions? Thanks !

Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Default Struts for the Mazda5 ... Suggestions? Thanks !

90k on the 09 Mazda5 - shop told me to replace struts (2 shops actually )
Any suggestions ?
KYB vs. Monroe ?
Quick Strut package vs. Just the Strut ???
Should mounts be replaced even if they seem OK?
What else should i be on the lookout for regarding struts ???

I was learning to the Quick strut package because replacing the coil spring seems logical... that replacing everything would be the smart way to go. don't want to mix/match old and new parts....

.... wife's car so i don't want to missing replacing what needs or should be replaced based on the overall mileage.

thanks for the advice !

Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM

For everyday driving and comfort Monroe is the way to go. However there are several types. Sensa-track, OESpectrum, Reflex and Gasmatic.
I have used Sensatrack on several vehicles, including a Mazda Protege. They always worked for me. You always should replace struts and strut mounts together. Strut mounts on the front are an integral part of the steering mechanism and subject to wear.
I don't know which strut Monroe puts into the quick strut assembly. Maybe you can find out with the help of your mechanic or parts store.

I would stay away from the lower priced Reflex and Gasmatic models. If these are the core of the Quickstruts I would not want them on my vehicle.

OESpectrum is a relatively new series and offered to those who want a more comfortable ride than the KYB's deliver. Many imports (Toyota) come with KYB.
If you go with KYB make sure to get the GR-2 series. I am taking that from discussions on an other board, not my own experience. My Pontiac Vibe (=Toyota Matrix) has the original KYBs and they are harsh. I will be moving on to Monroe OESpectrum.
Monroe usually has a sale going on in the Fall. Maybe you can hold off another month or two.