Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Newbie needs help! 2010 Mazda5 Rear Third Brake Light / Tail Light Not Working !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Unhappy Newbie needs help! 2010 Mazda5 Rear Third Brake Light / Tail Light Not Working !!!

Hi Gang,

What a great relief to find a forum dedicated to Mazda5 owners! My 5 is running ok, but the 3rd rear brake / tail light LED strip at the top of the hatchback door is not turning on. The regular left and right brake lights come on fine. What happened?! I looked up some online shops but so far no one has that LED strip light for sale. I hope I can get some resources for a Mazda replacement. I just hope its the LED strip board and not any wiring issues. Before I wrote this message I went back 4 years into this forum to read if anyone else posted a similar problem- i didnt see any postings like this. I;m hoping someone can lend me some help!!

Note: I tried to find some videos on youtube but one video says "LED lights rarely burn out- so check your fuse box/ wiring before replacing..." and the video ends. So, I have a 2010 Mazda5 but im not sure what model "touring" or "sport" i never got a driver manual with the pre-owned sale. But I can use the VIN online to look up the type of model if needed.

Any help appreciated!!

Regards,

Tom M.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for power & earth to the light?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 AM

I had this happen to me. The connector on the light end actually fried and broke apart inside the connector on the car side. Don't know what caused it.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by shawnmos
I had this happen to me. The connector on the light end actually fried and broke apart inside the connector on the car side. Don't know what caused it.

Hi thanks for reply. Did you have to replace the led strip? where did you buy a replacement ?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 AM

I'm currently trying to test the wires/ connector from the car side to see if they get power. Are these wires AC or DC? I have a multimeter.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Batteries always use DC. I was rear ended a while back and the insurance company had to replace the hatch so it was working again after they replaced everything so I never investigated further. I would check ebay first.