Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Default front shocks

I was told by the dealer several months ago that the front shocks were leaking oil and should be replaced. Now the first 5 minutes or so of driving after the car has sat for awhile, you can feel and hear every little bump on the road. Has anyone attempted to replace the front shocks themselves? If so, any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bradman
I was told by the dealer several months ago that the front shocks were leaking oil and should be replaced. Now the first 5 minutes or so of driving after the car has sat for awhile, you can feel and hear every little bump on the road. Has anyone attempted to replace the front shocks themselves? If so, any help would be appreciated.
The job is doable but unless you know what you're doing it is often not recommended. Why? Messing around with spring compressors is inherently dangerous.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Default Struts and Shocks

Originally Posted by Bradman
First off all get a second opinion or jack up the car and take a look. I just replaced the front struts and the rear shocks on my 5 with KYB GR2s in the back and KYB Excel G struts in the front. Good thing I did replace them because the front struts were leaking. Anyways I have worked on and replaced shocks and struts on several different cars and trucks. I would just recommend being careful when using any type of spring compressor. If you have never done it ask someone that knows how to do the job for help. I would also recommend shopping around for the cheapest prices on both struts and labor. If you don't want to hassle with it and are willing to pay the dealer then go for it. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM

My shocks for the Mazda 5 all leaked just when it turned a year old and it was in 32,000+ on the mileage. I have never taken it on Gravel road and if you also had this problem.please let me know.
Thanks Bengame

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Default shocks

Originally Posted by Peni Musunamasi
My shocks for the Mazda 5 all leaked just when it turned a year old and it was in 32,000+ on the mileage. I have never taken it on Gravel road and if you also had this problem.please let me know.
Thanks Bengame
I got the car with 28K form Mazda dealer and it was a rental prior to that. Car has been fine. Now with 55K on it has new shocks/struts and rides nice. or should I say better. I have never off roaded my 5 (of course not). I would suggest you replace your shocks and struts asap. Leaking struts/shocks not a good thing. I bought mine at shockwarehouse.com but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. Oh and get an alignement after replacing the struts. You don't have too but since I have lifetime alignment I got it aligned. Good Luck.