Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Key Fob not working, I have tried everything.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 AM
Default Key Fob not working, I have tried everything.

Hello, this is my first post and I'm sorry if this is already answered. I have looked for days and can't find a solution so I have resorted to posting here.

I have just bought a 2006 mazda5. I only have 1 key for it and it doesn't lock /unlock the car using the central locking. I have replaced the battery and done the process to reprogram the key to the car (open drivers door, turn key in ignition 3 times, close/open driver door 3 times and the central locking clicks as if ready for programing but when I press the unlock button on the Fob in the ignition it doesn't seem to register the clicks (central locking doesn't engage when pressing twice) the button press is working because the red LED on the Fob glows. I have tried disconnecting the car battery for a few seconds and trying again. Also, there is a dash light that flashes every few seconds. It's a red light with a car with a key in it. Please can you help. Thank you.

The picture shows (to the left) a "new" second hand key that I bought off ebay, to program the electric part with my central locking because (to the right) the key Fob unlock button didn't work on the key I got with the car, however the inside of the Fobs are not the same but the top part with the blade did just simply click into the new one from the old one.

Last edited by JonS; 02-16-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

You needed to make sure 100% that the remote you bought is for the exact same model, year, & body shape.

The blinking light when the ignition is off is 100% normal.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
You needed to make sure 100% that the remote you bought is for the exact same model, year, & body shape.

The blinking light when the ignition is off is 100% normal.
I managed to get the key working that come with the car. I can't get that one to pair with the car central locking either. I don't know if even that key is the original key. It's good to know that the blinking light is normal. I had a feeling that it was something to do with the reason that any of the 2 keys I now have will not connect to the car central locking.

Thanks for the reply. Any other help would be appreciated.