Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Factory Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Default Factory Stereo

Just finished test driving a new Mazda5. Great ride (for a mini-van) Highway acceleration wasn't stellar, but it's good for what it is. THe interior is well laid out except for 2 issues, 1 minor and 1 Major. The minor gripe first. The passenger seat has no armrest. this I don't get as all the other bucket seats have an inner armrest but why not the front passenger?

The major gripe IMHO the stereo. The stock stereo is pretty good, but $700 to get the MP3 compatible one, give me a break. Not only that, they designed the center stack to prevent you from installing a good aftermarket unit. why? I have a great Pioneer Head unit in my current car that I want to bring over to whatever I purchase next. This stereo Issue is enough to almost prevent me from buying a Mazda5. What have the rest of you done?

Pierre

Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Factory Stereo

ORIGINAL: was98strat

Just finished test driving a new Mazda5. Great ride (for a mini-van) Highway acceleration wasn't stellar, but it's good for what it is. THe interior is well laid out except for 2 issues, 1 minor and 1 Major. The minor gripe first. The passenger seat has no armrest. this I don't get as all the other bucket seats have an inner armrest but why not the front passenger?

The major gripe IMHO the stereo. The stock stereo is pretty good, but $700 to get the MP3 compatible one, give me a break. Not only that, they designed the center stack to prevent you from installing a good aftermarket unit. why? I have a great Pioneer Head unit in my current car that I want to bring over to whatever I purchase next. This stereo Issue is enough to almost prevent me from buying a Mazda5. What have the rest of you done?

Pierre
i need an alternative too. Paying $700 is ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 AM

I found a dash kit on eBay its from the Japanese version of the 5 (Premacy). The only thing is that its Double DIN. It worked for me, I installed a Kenwood touch screen unit w/ NAV. The kit is a little on the expensive side though ($185 w/ shipping), and you lose the steering wheel controls (if applicable).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-5-2-DIN-DASH-INSTALL-MOUNT-KIT-Mazda5-Premacy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ400]2 Din Dash kit

Old 08-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Highway accel wasnt stellar? Our car is pretty slow off the line but on the highway it flies. I have no problem in I95 traffic passing cars. Maybe it gets better after break in. As far as the stereo goes...yes it sucks. Im thinking about changing all the speakers as a start ..maybe add an amp ...but i won't change the head unit.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Crutchfield.com or Crutchfield.ca, provides dash mount replacement that fits 99% (little gap at base of three dials) otherwise looks like factory. allows for single or double DIN. I just installed a Sony MEX3800U, pretty simple. google the install and there are lots of step by step photos and comments - the Crutchfield 'how to' manual is pretty close but for 2006 and newer there are a couple changes to the dashboard set up. When i purchased the stereo the mounting kit and wiring harness came automatic and at no cost (about $50 saving). Good luck, I know the Factory system isn't that pleasing.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 AM

but the next model up, the sport this side of the pond. MP3 as standard.
yes armrest is stupid, seeming all other seats get it.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 AM

We have two armrests on all seats, perhapse this was new as of 2008? No MP3 is a joke though, most cars & stereos support it...

Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Default Mazda Premacy stereo

Just bought a mazda premacy for the wife. 2002 model 2.0 sport ,Its a jap import ,wondering is there combinations of buttons to push to change frequency range .It has that whole styled to match the climate aircon look. Also there is no dash light control.?

Any help much appreciated.