Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Dpf problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Default Dpf problem

hi,
guy i have a 2006 mazda 5 2.0 d, serviced 4k ago at mazda. The light has been flashing on and off for a couple of weeks now. I've took it a run up the motorway a few times and the light goes off and when i drive it the next day comes back on around 30 mins of driving. I noticed the when the dpf light flashes the car is rather sluggish(drives fine before the dpf light flashes?)
I thought i'd check the oil level and it's up at the mark X on the dipstick which is rather worrying as it's over full. I take it this is because the dpf has contaminated the oil.
What do i do to resolve this, take it to the dealer or see above dpf removal?
Is it safe to drive the car as it's not going to be repaired over the christmas hols grr.

Thanks Ryan

Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Well it sounds like you need an oil change for one if your up at the X mark, how far above the Full mark is the X? Since the DPF is going on 7 years old now it sounds like its had it and will not function much anymore, do you do alot of low speed city driving? If so you should go out on the highways more often, this keeps the forced regen (dumping extra fuel in) down to a minimum and just uses the higher heat of high speed driving to regen the DPF.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM

I would definately suggest an oil and filter change and then perform and then reset the oil data.

To reset the oil data, perform the following:

1. Switch the ignition to ON.
2. Ground the test terminal using a jumper wire.

3. Repeatedly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully five times.

Depending on the state of the DPF you could also perform a FULL forced regen, this process will run for about 60 minutes.

To do this, perform the following:

1. Start the engine and let it idle.
2. Ground the TEST terminal using a jumper wire.
3. Repeatedly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully two times.
The engine speed should increase to 1750 RPM and remain there for 15 to 60 minutes depending on regeneration required.
If the engine speed does not increase, detach the jumper wire from the TEST terminal and return to procedure 2.

Note
When the diesel particulate filter regeneration is completed, the engine speed returns to normal.
Do not depress the throttle during this proceedure and always perform this in a well ventilated area. The exhaust system will become VERY hot during this so keep clear during this time.

See the table below, it is better to perform the full forced before the engine light illuminates as this can only be cleared by M-MDS/IDS by a dealer or garage with a tool capable of clearing the stored DTCs.

Sorry if this has already been posted, obviously if you are worried about performing any of the steps above or have a dealer warranty, consult your dealer instead of attempting the above.

All the best,

Luke

Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Thanks guys for the info, I'll try that

Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 AM

Whatever you do , don;t keep driving it.
You need to get it fixed, or you are looking at a new engine.
A flashing light is a bit more serious than a steady light, which is a boot up the motorway. Dealer service or a regen is normally required for a flashing light.

FWIW I got my DPF removed. Cost about £500 but it's a different car now. Little more smoke on start up, but the trade off is a better drive and better MPG, with no oil contamination, which can only be good for the engine.
Extra particles in the air is a concern for me, but using less fuel is a help.

Last edited by coney; 12-30-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

where is this "test terminal" located exactly?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Sid

Originally Posted by ZoomZoomLuke
I would definately suggest an oil and filter change and then perform and then reset the oil data.

To reset the oil data, perform the following:

1. Switch the ignition to ON.
2. Ground the test terminal using a jumper wire.

3. Repeatedly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully five times.

Depending on the state of the DPF you could also perform a FULL forced regen, this process will run for about 60 minutes.

To do this, perform the following:

1. Start the engine and let it idle.
2. Ground the TEST terminal using a jumper wire.
3. Repeatedly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully two times.
The engine speed should increase to 1750 RPM and remain there for 15 to 60 minutes depending on regeneration required.
If the engine speed does not increase, detach the jumper wire from the TEST terminal and return to procedure 2.

Note
When the diesel particulate filter regeneration is completed, the engine speed returns to normal.
Do not depress the throttle during this proceedure and always perform this in a well ventilated area. The exhaust system will become VERY hot during this so keep clear during this time.

See the table below, it is better to perform the full forced before the engine light illuminates as this can only be cleared by M-MDS/IDS by a dealer or garage with a tool capable of clearing the stored DTCs.

Sorry if this has already been posted, obviously if you are worried about performing any of the steps above or have a dealer warranty, consult your dealer instead of attempting the above.

All the best,

Luke
Hi Dpf light came on after a 80m drive on motorway, then the engine management light as well, tried a manual regen of booting it up the motorway but had none of it, got home & just tried the wire to the pin method, started car & swiched on wire
, revved up to just under 2000rpm so I assume it goes to regen mode then the engine makes a sort of loading up noise & then the engines rpm drops back down to ide

Old 09-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Sid

Originally Posted by Sid
Hi Dpf light came on after a 80m drive on motorway, then the engine management light as well, tried a manual regen of booting it up the motorway but had none of it, got home & just tried the wire to the pin method, started car & swiched on wire
, revved up to just under 2000rpm so I assume it goes to regen mode then the engine makes a sort of loading up noise & then the engines rpm drops back down to ide
Please any ideas I need to get it sorted.