Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Clutch jumping - 2008 Mazda 5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/clutch-jumping-2008-mazda-5-a-36355/)

Buck Mulligan 01-06-2016 07:31 PM

Clutch jumping - 2008 Mazda 5

Issue: When clutch pedal pressed to the floor, strong vibrations present in pedal. There is a grinding sound as if the clutch is not fully disengaged.

Upon release, the clutch jumps and there is a thumping as the clutch engages. The car lurches hard in first gear, second gear not so great, third and higher it becomes less noticeable. There is a continued grinding sound (constant) and pedal vibration until the clutch is fully released. If I just rest my foot on the clutch, the grinding sound and vibration comes back.

Once the clutch is fully engaged in any gear, the car drives smooth.

This is my second clutch and has 60k on it. My first one was replaced after 30k due to slipping. This issue is not slipping.

My first thought is either something broke in the clutch or there is a problem in the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder. I'd like to bleed the slave cylinder (or at least look for leaks) but have no clue where it is.

Is the slave cylinder easily accessible? If so, where is it? Is it possible a leak or air bubbles could lead to my problem? If not, what is your best guess? :confused:

Buck Mulligan 01-08-2016 01:40 PM

Well, it gets weird.

After taking it around to shops and getting all sorts of answers on possible causes, the car is in the shop now getting a complete new clutch.

However, when I went to take the car in this morning, everything was perfectly fine with the clutch. Worked like normal, except now there was a screeching noise when the clutch was disengaged - throw-out bearing.

Anyway, I'll have the car back soon and will hopefully get a definitive answer as to what went wrong with it.

Buck Mulligan 06-27-2017 08:28 PM

At 150k it looks like I'm ready for clutch #4. I got 60k out of #3.

Listening to all the others here with the same issue of clutch replacements about every 50k or so, AND the fact Mazda refuses to honor the warranty on anything clutch related, I think we can safely say the clutch is **** on any Mazda 3 and 5 between 2006-2013. If you haven't experiences these infamous clutch problems, I'm very jealous.

I went and got approved for a new car loan today. Guess what car I won't be buying? To be honest, other than the clutch the car has been fantastic for the most part. I've taken good care of her - Wix filters, Mobil One synth always - and other than the clutch I've have had only minor issues - wheel bearing, thermostat, water outlet, and general wear and tear. But $4k in clutch work is ridiculous, and for Mazda to continue to tell me the wear is "normal" or conversely that it is caused by my "driving style" is insulting.

Rant over. Out.